Windows 10 home or pro?

For users or potential users.
gorilla121

Windows 10 home or pro?

Post by gorilla121 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:01 pm

I realized that two of the new all in one computers that I bought upgraded to Windows 10 home edition. Any problems with this and Open Dental? We have 7 computers total including the server. I've been having some connectivity issues on the network and thought about upgrading the two of the computers to Windows 10 pro. Not sure if its the cause. Thanks

dgraffeo

Re: Windows 10 home or pro?

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:48 am

We haven't seen any problems with Windows 10 yet.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:00 am

One issue that affects some foreign users was that upgrading from an older version of Windows to Windows 10 caused their Language and Region settings to get reset which put them into English United States mode which caused several issues. But that is easily combated once the issue is diagnosed.

Another issue for some coming from much older versions of Windows (and not always upgrading to 10, but even 8 ) is that Microsoft revisited and heightened their security so they had to run Open Dental as an Administrator otherwise many permission issues started to arise with their bridging software, etc. This can also be combated once diagnosed but it a more in depth process if right clicking on the Open Dental desktop shortcut and Running as Administrator is not a viable option for your office.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Last time I went to install on 10, I had to run the trial installer by right clicking and running as administrator. I think it couldn't copy the grant tables if I didn't. I think the installer manifest should just require runasadministrator instead of asInvoker. But I am not positive. And an option to run Open Dental in the installer, that way the entire first run is elevated.

gorilla121

Post by gorilla121 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:11 pm

Is there a connection limit with the home edition vs the pro edition? I'm not sure whether to spend $99 more to upgrade to the pro.

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:53 pm

You don't need pro unless you are running a domain system in the office, or what remote desktop to that workstation, or want to use bitlocker encryption on that machine. I have some of both throughout the office, no issues with "home" except for those items mentioned above that I know of. Upgraded all my win7 and win8's to win10.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com