Planned Appointments

For users or potential users.
jclaydds

Planned Appointments

Post by jclaydds » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 am

Since I have updated to a Beta Version (15.3.16.0) a few weeks ago, I have noticed some latency (2-3 seconds) when I delete a planned appointments. I did not notice this issue until I updated to 15.3.xx.x. The latency was not present in version 15.2. Any ideas why this occurring? Another issue with the planned appointment screen is when you highlight a planned appointment and use the "Up" button to move it up the list, it does not work as expected. After clicking the up button, you often have to use your mouse to get the appointment highlighted again before hitting the up button again. I would expect you should be able to hit the up button repeatedly and the desired appointment would stay highlighted and continue to move up the list. I haven't tried the down button to see if it does the same thing. Thanks!

tgriswold

Re: Planned Appointments

Post by tgriswold » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:24 pm

We have been trying to reproduce some of these issues here at HQ but have not been able to see the issue with the up and down arrows, or the slowness you are experiencing. If you could call in to OD and let them take a copy of your DB it would make it much easier for us to understand and fix these issues.
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:32 pm

Will call support now and share a copy of my database for further testing.

Thanks!

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:05 pm

I shared my database with support a couple of weeks ago and they were able to promptly fix the "delay" or "latency issue" with deleting planned appointments in version 15.3.22.0. The moving of planned appointments up and down with the arrow keys is still not working as expected. It can be very frustrating and time consuming to attempt to move the order of planned appointments up and down using the buttons at the top of the planned appointment list. Any chance that this could be addressed to get it working correctly?

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey there, I had a look at your database and attempted to reproduce the slowness when moving the planned appointments up and down and it wasn't slow for me at all. Is there anything special you do to move it? Something I may have been doing incorrectly? Anything out of the ordinary, really.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:37 am

David, Thanks for your help and looking at my database. I'll attempt to better communicate the ongoing issue I am having with planned appointments. We use planned appointments heavily in our office. Some offices normally have only one planned appointment (the patient's next appointment) but we often have 5-10 planned appointments for a complex treatment plan. If you only had 1-2 planned appointments with a particular patient, I doubt you would ever see this issue. I originally brought up two problems with planned appointments. The "slowness" I described was with deleting planned appointments and that has been resolved with the latest update 15.3.22.0. :) The 2nd problem is the up and down buttons to rearrange the order of the planned appointments. The best way for you to understand and attempt to duplicate the issue is to create 7 planned appointments and in the Note Section of each planned appointment, label these planned appointments #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7. Here is your homework :D Start trying to rearrange the order of the planned appointments and observe the behavior. Change the order to 1, 7, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. When trying to move the planned appointments to rearrange the order (this happens frequently in our practice if either the doctor or patient wants to change the order of the planned treatment), it is very difficult to rearrange the order. You highlight an appointment ( for example #7) and try to move it up the list. On the first click, it often works as expected. On the 2nd click up, it might move 2 spots up instead of 1. Often, the #7 appointment won't be highlighted any longer and you have to "find it" and highlight it again. It often "leaps"other appointments instead of moving up one space at a time. Often, the order of other planned appointments (not the appointment that is highlighted) change when you were not wanting them to change.

Another example of when I often see this issue is when you create a new planned appointment, it goes, by default, to the end of the list and I agree that this is the way it should be. Let's say that the new planned appointment is created because the patient presented today to the office with a broken tooth that needs to be fixed first. When I enter a planned appointment to fix that broken tooth and that appointment ends up at the bottom of the list, I need to move it up to the top of the list because we are going to address this need first. Getting it to the top of the list without disturbing the order of the other planned appointments is very difficult!

A couple of days ago, I tried for 2-3 minutes to get the order of some planned appointments rearranged and after a lot of frustration, I decided to delete all the planned appointments and re-enter them in the correct order because I couldn't get them rearranged with the up and down buttons. If you can't duplicate the issue, I'll be happy to call into support and demonstrate the issue because it is somewhat difficult to describe. Thanks for your help!

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 am

Ok, I'll look into it more deeply, thank you for your information. Do you have a particular patient number you can point me to that exhibits this behavior, just to be sure? I still have your database so I can test it and see the exact same thing you see.

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:53 am

Alright. In our latest version of 15.3 you are correct, re-ordering the planned appointments with the up and down arrows is buggy and doesn't work as intended. One of our engineers re-coded that portion of the program for the upcoming release and I tested up to 15 planned appointments and the re-ordering worked as intended there. It involved quite a few changes so we elected not to backport the change to beta, especially since we will be releasing the new version soon.

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:17 am

Thanks. I appreciate you looking into this issue and getting it fixed.