controlled substances

For users or potential users.
sam-I-am

controlled substances

Post by sam-I-am » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 am

For us New York dentists, as just wondering if the controlled substances issue for writing prescriptions has been straightened out...I thought that this time around, I'd not wait until two weeks before next year's deadline to get myself set up.

Thanks, Sam Barr

Arna

Re: controlled substances

Post by Arna » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Dr. Barr,
Things are indeed sorted out. I will be reaching out to our New York dentists in the next week or so with information regarding eRX and EPCS (Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances). Watch this space.
Arna
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

rambochambo

Post by rambochambo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Can Non-New York dentists use this as well?

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Absolutely. New York mandates electronic prescribing of controlled substances. Providers in other states are able, but not required, to do so.

Arna Meyer

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:56 am

Any updates on Prescribing controlled drugs?

Sam Barr

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Dr. Barr,
Controlled Substances is up and running. Our test providers have been successfully using EPCS and it is available for the general public to sign up and use.
Our web manual details the process for signing up for eRX and EPCS: http://opendental.com/manual/electronicrx.html.
I can have a member of staff reach out to you to get started, if you're interested.
The information needed for New York's EPCS mandate can be found here: http://opendental.com/manual/epcsnewyork.html

Arna Meyer

spsheffield

Post by spsheffield » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:33 pm

I was able to activate everything successfully last week, and sent a controlled substance prescription last Thursday without a hitch. There are a lot of steps to go through, but the Open Dental manual lays it out pretty well. Just remember that in New York you also need to register the software program you are using with the state on the HCS website (the same site that the prescription monitoring program is on). That is pretty easy--it only took me about 5 minutes.