Using EMV credit cards

For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

Using EMV credit cards

Post by fishdrzig » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:43 am

What company do you use and what kind of credit card machine do you or will you be using for the new EMV cards (the ones with the chips) coming in October?

Pruce Dental

Re: Using EMV credit cards

Post by Pruce Dental » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Yeah..got a letter from X-Charge stating that come October 2015 we need to have our equipment upgraded for the new chips in the cards or the liability for fraud is our responsibility. So to further the OP's question is OD staff taking steps to integrate new credit card equipment within the OD program???..Will OD be ready in time and any idea of what type of equipment we need to purchase yet?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:58 pm

<<<insert awkward silence>>>>
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:12 pm

I totally missed your original Q. My apologies.

We've been in discussion with X-Charge regarding compliance, however I don't know what the timeline is and how much responsibility will be on Open Dental. The new technology will require a card reader with the chip support, however the transactional data is still handled by X-Charge, as far as I am aware. Our Vendor Relations Coordinator has been working with X-Charge regarding this roll out.
Watch this space for updates!
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:06 pm

@ OD staff

Any updates on the progress and any idea of which type of terminal we will need to purchase?

@OD users using x-Charge:

Anyone notice over the past month when they process X-Charge transactions and they hit "process" to send the transaction that there is no response and then it eventually times out. If I reboot the workstation x-Charge starts functioning. I thought I had an issue on my end but last week replaced my server and reinstalled X-charge on the new server and workstations and same thing occurs with it just hanging...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Got mine from Costco. Works great, takes Apple pay and chipped cards, and cheaper rates than my bank.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am

(bump question)
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

asanders

Post by asanders » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:28 am

Bump. Any ideas?

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Pruce Dental wrote:@ OD staff

Any updates on the progress and any idea of which type of terminal we will need to purchase?
We are currently in the process of working with three EMV terminals:
iSC250 – Has Sig Cap capabilities.
Dynapro SC – Has Sig Cap capabilities. US EMV testing will be available end if September
iPP320 – Does not have Sig Cap capabilities.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:35 pm

1. Why not consider NFC as well?

2. Magtek also has the eDynamo (not to be confused with iDynamo or uDynamo) reader scheduled for Nov release. It has Bluetooth and USB connectivity and is compatible with Windows, IOS and Android.

3. What about Square? It can do NFC, EMV and traditional stripe?

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:41 am

I was on the phone with X-charge last week and they told me they are waiting on OD then they can get us the card readers. Has anyone heard any news from OD. The deadline is next week!!

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:07 am

I am using EDI PayConnect with the old style USB magnetic strip reader. I would like to know as well what we need to get to read the chips directly into Open Dental payments.

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Currently there are only two merchant services who integrate in to Open Dental- X-Charge and PayConnect.

X-Charge/Open Edge is being proactive about making EMV compliant devices work with their software and Open Dental, the EMV compliant option is not particular to certain Credit Card processors or merchant services companies. Users (merchants) are not required to adopt this technology, but can consider the cost of adopting it (ie new card readers) compared with the fraud liability that will be passed to merchants who do not use EMV readers. Dentists may know their patients and not be concerned with fraud, or be willing to accept such risk. There is no requirement that merchants use EMV readers, only that the Credit Card issuers are trying to shed the risk of an older technology. Switching to another credit card processor will not change this. For those concerned about cost, you may choose to not use a new card reader or use the iPP320 which is only a little over $200 dollars. As soon X-Charge finalizes the release to update the X-Charge server software, customers will have the ability to use EMV compliant readers within Open Dental. This is expected to happen shortly.

At this point, there has been no testing with PayConnect. As soon as they have a product ready to test, we will integrate it.

Users who don't use X-Charge or PayConnect should work with their merchant service provider to obtain an EMV compliant card reader and continue to manually post the transactions in Open Dental.

Arna Meyer

pstuckey

Post by pstuckey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:36 am

Just updated to EMV readers with x-charge. The new readers arrived yesterday. Hardest part was waiting on hold for 1:45 min. Thru remote access, it took them about 30 min to do the software update for two workstations. As you can imagine, they have been very busy installing new readers.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:34 am

So pstuckey you now have a working EMV card reader that works with OD through X-charge? If so, can you let me know the model reader that you got. I want to call them and get this going. Thanks

pstuckey

Post by pstuckey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:44 pm

I think it is an Ingenico 330, it was on their recommended list. I don't remember the price, but it was inline with what I read on another thread. It does EMV and has the future capability for near field(example-Apple Pay). We tested on my personal chip card and it worked fine.

DentalXChange.com

Post by DentalXChange.com » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Hello Everyone - I wanted to give you a DentalXChange PayConnect update as well:

PayConnect, like many retailers across the nation is currently enhancing its system in order to accept EMV (chip based) transactions. We are in currently moving through the certification process and we expect to be fully ready to accept EMV transactions in the 1st quarter of 2016. We have chosen to support the VeriFone VX805 device because of its ability to support features such as contactless transactions and TransArmor. We will be communicating our progress with our merchants via email and on our website at www.DentalXChange.com. We encourage you to email or call PayConnect with any questions you may have at PayConnect@DentalXChange.com as well at 800-576-6412 Ext. 472.

Thank you!

asanders

Post by asanders » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 am

We bought two of XCharge's recommended devices and after 4 days of dealing with their tech support, they couldn't get the devices to operate properly. My IT guy was here as well. He finally figured it out. So the net result is that I'm out a bunch of money for IT support, XCharge couldn't support their own devices. Beware.

jcbdmd

Post by jcbdmd » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:15 pm

The perfect device for open dental integration might be the new Poynt terminal (started by one of the guys who started google wallet).

https://poynt.com/

It is a android based terminal that runs apps (which any product like open dental could integrate), but meets the stringent security requirements that the credit card industry demands.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:12 am

Well I got my credit card machine last week, the one that Xcharge recommended, was on hold for over an hour trying to get this thing installed, eventually had no choice but to leave a message to call me back and never got a return call, as I type I am on hold again- so do they not have people there who can help us!! Anyone else having this issue?

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Could Open Dental help with the installation? Still keep getting put on hold at Xcharge/Open Edge

Arna

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 pm

I wouldn't know where to start, unfortunately. What are you trying to install? Drivers?

Arna Meyer

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:35 pm

I am trying to install the new Credit Card machine so we can be compliant by law, but am having trouble getting help doing it.

Arna

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:39 pm

We haven't had the chance to install them, unfortunately. I'll check with the engineers who worked on the integration to see if they have any insight, and get back to you.
Also, this is not a matter of compliance with the law, it's a matter of compliance with the card carriers themselves. You are not breaking any law by not using an EMV machine.

Arna Meyer

Arna

Post by Arna » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Alrighty, I double checked with engineering and confirmed that you will need X-Charge to be involved.
1. You will need an upgrade to X-charge version 8.1.1 (you may already be running this version, but probably not).
2. You will need to install the terminal drivers for the EMV device.
3. X-charge will need to provide you with an EMV ID.
Unfortunately we are removed from these processes, so aren't going to be able to help in this case.

Arna Meyer

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks Anna

That is what I figured

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:36 am

Ok, here is the update. First you need to contact x-charge/openedge to have them download and install the most recent software so it can process EMV cards. This process goes pretty quickly. Then they will give you the number of the hardware technical team to help you install the hardware and run a test to make sure your new hardware if good to go. This is what takes time. I now understand why - it just takes time for them to walk you through the setup, rboot etc.... and test it. It took some time but they were very good and understanding and patient. It worked very well with Open Dental.

One question I forgot to ask them is since I purchased the IPP 320 and go take the new chip cards and/or the mag stripe, what if the patient does not have a PIN # to use, then what? Does anyone know this answer? I haven't run a card "live" yet so was just wondering what to expect.

caringdentists

Post by caringdentists » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:07 am

boboffice wrote:Got mine from Costco. Works great, takes Apple pay and chipped cards, and cheaper rates than my bank.

Exactly what did you buy at Costco? EMV and the merchant servces?

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:37 am

Xcharge EMV works really well with OD and the ISC-250 terminal but there are a few things to consider:

1. Setup is a pain and can take 1-2 hours plus several follow up phone calls but most of the XCHARGE Helpdesk (1-800-338-6614) people are helpful and courteous and very patient. When you call the first time make sure to choose INSTALL (Option 4) not TECH SUPPORT in the Touch Tone menu or you will waste 45 minutes on hold with the wrong dept. If you have a slow internet connection, consider downloading the installer file in advance. If you sign up with XCHARGE they will automatically send you the link.

2. Tell your Install tech to install XCHARGE as a Windows Service to prevent accidental shutdown of the XCHARGE program and/or server by unwary staff members.

3. The XCHARGE server runs on one of the PCs on your LAN not on the cloud so you need proper backups. In other words you alone have these signatures and XCHARGE cannot retrieve them for you from their server.

4. XCHARGE will want to setup up the XCHARGE server on one of your workstations that has a terminal connected to it. Say no to this. You want everything on your central server so signatures get backed up with the rest of the databases. This central server does not need a terminal but every workstation with a terminal connects to it. Downside is that you need to periodically reboot your server PC or XCHARGE will stop eventually. I think periodic rebooting of the main server is a good idea any way. Also, if the PC running the XCHARGE Server Software is shut down, XCHARGE will not run on any ISC-250 terminal and/or PC so that's another reason not to install on a workstation.

5. Debit cards still have to be swiped even if they have chips. I am told this is ok as the patient keys in a 4 digit PIN.

6. When a transaction is completed a Customer Copy of the receipt will print. This printout DOES NOT have a signature but the signature is saved on the XCHARGE server. XCHARGE says they may consider placing the signature on this receipt in future to make it look more authentic. But if this bothers you consider that even in pen and paper systems the customer only signs the Merchant Copy and takes home an unsigned Customer Copy.

7. Completed (old) signatures cannot be accessed directly in Open Dental but by running the XCHARGE utility. According to XCHARGE this is a missing feature of Open Dental as most POS softwares allow saving of signatures within them. OD Support, please consider this feature.

8. You can customize the ISC-250 to display your logo and a short message. Office specials, for example, can be advertised this way.

9. Sometimes people call in payments. On any PC connected to a ISC-250 terminal, the card number has to be keyed in using the ISC-250 terminal. To avoid doing this you can setup a PC without a terminal but just the XCHARGE software. On such a PC, the computer's keyboard can be used to enter the CC number. This is not a good idea if you think your staff might use this as a way to avoid the more complicated EMV card process. Remember that bypassing the EMV process on a chipped card defeats the whole purpose of minimizing your risk of a chargeback.

10. Staff training and I would say, re-training is a must since the EMV transaction process is confusing in the beginning. This is not due to XCHARGE as much as it is due to the new EMV card technology.

XCHARGE has been offering one or more ISC-250 terminals for free depending on your circumstances. This is a great deal since one such terminal costs $600 after shipping and tax.

Bottom line: If you are willing to undergo the headache of installation and put up with a few missing features you not only get EMV compliance but also some pretty neat features.
Last edited by Jay on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:55 am, edited 9 times in total.

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:28 am

Thanks for the feedback, Jay. I'm glad to see you've got everything installed and running well. Great advice, too. I may borrow some points for our web manual, if that's OK with you.

Arna Meyer

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am

Arna wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Jay. I'm glad to see you've got everything installed and running well. Great advice, too. I may borrow some points for our web manual, if that's OK with you.
You are most welcome. Of course, the usual disclaimers apply and people should check with XCHARGE if in doubt.

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:41 am

Of course. There are some really great pieces of advice there. Thanks again!

Arna Meyer

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 am

I made some minor typographical edits to clean it up and remove ambiguities.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 am

If you buy an additional ISC-250 from a third party vendor, make sure you are getting the USB cable and Power Supply in addition to the terminal itself. Not all sellers have them included in the price and you might face delays if you don't have all three items at hand.

UPDATES:

1. DO NOT BUY ISC-250 from a third party. If you have, return it unopened. It will be lacking some proprietary programming from XCHARGE and as such will be useless to you. They could have programmed it for you previously but stopped doing so this year.

2. The free terminal deal from XCHARGE is NOT a guarantee. Just to be clear I got two. One for $599 and another for free. The pricing of terminals depends on your specific circumstances and any promotional offers.

I am sorry for any confusion.