Software Bug - Appointment Window

For users or potential users.
dand

Software Bug - Appointment Window

Post by dand » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

When you right click "set complete" the appointment box in the appointment, the procedures shown in the appointment box may or may not be the procedures completed. Or stating it another way, the highlighted procedures in the appointment window, are not always the procedures shown in the appointment box.

Because of this, you may unknowingly be adding/deleting procedures, i.e. charging the patient's account more or less then is correct.

Also, according to the OD software manual, the "Edit Appointment" page states the Cancel Button does.... "Cancel: Close the window without saving changes." This is incorrect, as the "Cancel" button in the Appointment window screen, does NOT cancel changes.

jwhitney

Re: Software Bug - Appointment Window

Post by jwhitney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:28 am

What version are you on? As of the latest versions I can guarantee that only procedures attached to the appointment that was set complete will also be set complete.
In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Josh Whitney
Open Dental Software
1-503-363-5432
http://www.opendental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:02 am

dand wrote:Also, according to the OD software manual, the "Edit Appointment" page states the Cancel Button does.... "Cancel: Close the window without saving changes." This is incorrect, as the "Cancel" button in the Appointment window screen, does NOT cancel changes.
What changes are you trying to cancel out of that it is not canceling?
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

dand

Post by dand » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 am

As an example:

1. Go to an appointment box that has an exam, pro procedure showing in the box.
2. Click the box, so the appointment window appears, you should see the exam and pro procedure codes in grey, designating that they belong to this appointment.
3. Add a procedure, from your list on the left(let's use pano) and click it, it to will now appear grey, designating it as belonging to this appointment.
4. Now hit the cancel button to remove the change(i.e. - remove the pano from the appointment), which will close the appointment window.
5. Now look at the appointment box on the appointment screen, you will see it has the ex and pro only, if you click on this box it will show the appointment screen, which has ex, pro and pano highlighted.
6. If you go back and R click the appointment box(with has just 2 procedures showing), it will make the appointment complete, but it will also complete the pano, and place all three as complete the account screen
7. Therefore, what is in the appointment box, is not the same as what is in the appointment window.

Obviously the Cancel button does not work, and thus you maybe completing procedures you did not do and/or not complete all the procedures you did.

FYI, you can also do the steps above by hitting the X at the top which closes the appointment screen, and make the same thing happen.

I'm using version 15.1.24.0

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 pm

That's what I would have guessed you were talking about. We've gotten that complaint several times in the past and I could see how it is misleading.
I'll have the manual updated so that it accurately portrays the fact that adding and editing procedures associated to appointments has to be manually reversed (double click on the unwanted proc and click delete or highlight the undesired procs from the apt edit window and click the delete button at the top) because there is a lot of power within the procedure edit window that the user has access to that is irreversible from way back in the appointment edit window.

The cancel button in the Edit Appointment window is a way to cancel out of appointment specific settings (scroll panel section in the top left) and the appointment note.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

dand

Post by dand » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:34 pm

I understand what your saying.
It may not be considered a bug, but I feel that what is in the appointment box and what is highlighted in the appointment window should always be the same.
If not it can be too easy for procedures to be added(or removed) and not know it.

One suggestion would be remove the Cancel button(it has little benefit compared to the risk), or move it to a different section of the screen, so one doesn't think you use it to adjust that section of the screen.

tgriswold

Post by tgriswold » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As Jason mentioned, "The cancel button in the Edit Appointment window is a way to cancel out of appointment specific settings (scroll panel section in the top left) and the appointment note.". That is the intended behavior, however the appointment description was not updating to reflect the procedures you had added/removed from the appointment before clicking cancel. I can understand how this would be confusing, as what shows inside the appointment does not match the note that was showing on the appointment module. I must reaffirm that clicking cancel or closing out of the appointment edit window will not undo any changes you have made involving attaching, adding, or deleting procedures. Once those changes have been made they are saved to the database immediately, not when you click OK and cancel. You can rest assured that whatever shows in the appointment edit window is how this are meant to be and are currently in the database, and any completing of appointments will affect all procedures attached to that appointment even if the appointment description is incorrect.

In version 15.3.5 (which will be released soon), this issue with appointment descriptions has been fixed as "Appointment descriptions were not updated when new procedures were attached to appointments in rare cases.". For older versions than 15.3.5, you can run the Appt Procs tool inside Database Maintenance to update the appointment descriptions for all appointments in the past 6 months.
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software