Tom Zaccaria

Broken, Cancelled and Failed Appointments

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Fri May 22, 2015 5:37 am

How are we differentiating

BA (break appointment day of),
CA (break appointment with 24 hours notice) and
FA ( didn't show up, no call)
appointments in version 15.2.3

They all seem to be lumped under Broken Appointments.

drtmz

Pruce Dental

Re: Broken, Cancelled and Failed Appointments

Post by Pruce Dental » Fri May 22, 2015 6:41 am

I was thinking the same...the new version handles broken appointment/no shows with ADA code D9986 missed appointment but forgot to handle ADA code D9987 cancelled appointment.

I am considering ADA code D9987 canceled as anyone that called prior to their appointment and at least informed us they were not coming and reserving D9986 for the rudest ones in the batch that can't even call to cancel...btw we use LightHouse 360 so there is no excuse that somebody forgot their appointment...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 am

Also noticed that the D9986 is in black text.
We are used to the old blue. Much easier to pick up. Any way to change that font color?

drtmz

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Fri May 22, 2015 1:38 pm

yeah..PLEASE post them in Blue so they stand out...Staff need a quick way when the phone rings to remember who is who...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon May 25, 2015 9:25 am

Tom Zaccaria wrote:Also noticed that the D9986 is in black text.
We are used to the old blue. Much easier to pick up. Any way to change that font color?
You can choose custom colors for ranges (or specific) procedures so that their abbreviations are colored on the corresponding appointment(s). That might get you the functionality you desire.
(Procedure Text Colors and Previous Date Options: http://www.opendental.com/manual/appointmentviews.html)
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 pm

OK That took care of the font issue. Never would have guessed it would be under Appointment View.
But any way to differentiate between the adjtypes?

I took a peek at the appointment table and everything there under aptstatus is recorded as 'Broken'.

Thanks
drtmz

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Tue May 26, 2015 9:10 am

Thought it changed the Font but seems it did not.
Went to:
Setup/Appointments/Appointment View/ProcColors
entered one for D9986 and changed the color back to Blue
Checked Show Previous Date
Saved everything

But no luck

Help! Staff is after me!
drtmz

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 am

Tom Zaccaria wrote:Thought it changed the Font but seems it did not.
Went to:
Saved everything

But no luck

Help! Staff is after me!
drtmz
Sounds like you did everything correctly. The only things I could think of off the top of my head would be obvious things like you didn't replace the Procs appt view item with ProcsColored in the Main List grid in the Appointment View Edit window. That or you didn't do this for every desired appointment view and your staff is looking at different appt views than the one you edited. If all else fails just give us a call and we can help you out.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue May 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I also noticed that all my old " broken appointments within 24 hours" that used to be on my account screen from 2014 and older before this new ADA code.... got recoded with the new updated broken appointments feature to "broken appointment"..shouldn't they have gotten recoded to the other D9987 canceled appointment code or better yet left the way they used to read?
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

allends

Post by allends » Tue May 26, 2015 3:34 pm

We have not added a "Canceled" option to appointments as of yet and because of that we did not implement the usage of D9987.
It would be a feature request to allow appointments to be "Canceled" in addition to "Broken". If we implemented that request then we would most likely implement the usage of D9987 as well.
Pruce Dental wrote:I also noticed that all my old " broken appointments within 24 hours" that used to be on my account screen from 2014 and older before this new ADA code.... got recoded with the new updated broken appointments feature to "broken appointment"..shouldn't they have gotten recoded to the other D9987 canceled appointment code or better yet left the way they used to read?
The only broken appointment adjustments that got changed were the ones that were your default broken appointment adjustment type. If "broken appointments within 24 hours" was your default type, then all of the adjustments were given a D9986 procedure. Since there is no way for us to know how your specific practice uses the "Broken" appointment status (i.e. as a "Canceled" appointment), we assumed that all "Broken" appointments match up with the new "Broken" appointment procedure code.
Allen
Open Dental Software

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Tue May 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Tom Zaccaria wrote:
Thought it changed the Font but seems it did not.
Went to:
Saved everything

But no luck

Help! Staff is after me!
drtmz

Sounds like you did everything correctly. The only things I could think of off the top of my head would be obvious things like you didn't replace the Procs appt view item with ProcsColored in the Main List grid in the Appointment View Edit window. That or you didn't do this for every desired appointment view and your staff is looking at different appt views than the one you edited. If all else fails just give us a call and we can help you out.
You are talking about appointment views...We want to see the blue text on the account screen and visible in the chart...We want staff to be able to see the blue text so they can immediately differentiate between who is responsible with their appointment commitments and who canceled their last 3 appointments.
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Thu May 28, 2015 2:20 pm

We called support today. No way to change the Font on the missed appointment in the chart because it is now a procedure.
But if you click on the appointment after it is broken and then click on 'Add Adjustment' in the bottom of the window you can differentiate between the type of adjustments.

In our case it brings up a window with all our old adjustments in it such as; CA, BA, NS, etc.
Click on one of these and it will be noted in the chart in the original Blue font.

All is quite, finally!

drtmz

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat May 30, 2015 11:43 pm

I am currently on version 15.1
What will happen when I upgrade to 15.2 if I am already using codes D9986 & D9987 for something else?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

allends

Post by allends » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:36 pm

The code will make D9986 procedures from all adjustments that match the current default broken appointment adjustment type.
All future broken appointments will create one of the procedures.
The new broken appointment report will use all D9986 procedures to determine metrics for broken appointments.
Nothing will happen to the current procedures created using D9986, but it may skew the metrics for the new report.

Since we have not implemented D9987 nothing will currently happen with those procedures, but it may be implemented in the future.
Allen
Open Dental Software

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:37 am

adearmondsattler wrote:The code will make D9986 procedures from all adjustments that match the current default broken appointment adjustment type.
Allen,
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
I have been using D9986 for "Bleaching syringe" every time we dispense a syringe.
What will happen to all those entries? Will they now show up in reports as "Broken Appt"?
What should I do going forward? Can I change all my existing D9986's to another unused code?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

allends

Post by allends » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:12 am

What will happen to all those entries? Will they now show up in reports as "Broken Appt"?
Nothing will change about those entries. The new 2015 ADA code will never be imported if it already exists in the DB. Broken Appts will now create "Bleaching Syringe" procs whenever they are broken though. In addition the broken appointments report will use all those D9986 procedures that you already have made.
What should I do going forward? Can I change all my existing D9986's to another unused code?
In my opinion that would be the best option. Our conversion department will be able to help you with that and then you can safely run the D-Code tool to get the latest codes.
Allen
Open Dental Software

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:44 pm

In my opinion that would be the best option. Our conversion department will be able to help you with that and then you can safely run the D-Code tool to get the latest codes.
Allen,
Thank you. I changed D9986 to D9980 which was available.
Can I run the D-code tool on version 15.1 or should I wait to upgrade to version 15.2?
I currently have broken appointments recorded as adjustments (not commlog). Will that change or stay the same in v15.2?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

allends

Post by allends » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:13 pm

When you update to 15.2 you should be able to get the latest version of the D-Codes. As for the adjustments, broken appointments will be using procedures from now on, with a commlog option as there has always been.
Allen
Open Dental Software

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:24 pm

adearmondsattler wrote:...broken appointments will be using procedures from now on, with a commlog option as there has always been.
Does that mean we WON'T be able to show Broken Appts as Adjustments in the Account Module? That would not be good. First of all it is important that patients can see on their statements how many broken and cancelled appointments they had. Second, the front desk staff works from the Account Module, they rarely look at the Chart Module. It's more important that they see the broken & canceled appts than the clinical staff.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

allends

Post by allends » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Hersheydmd wrote: Does that mean we WON'T be able to show Broken Appts as Adjustments in the Account Module?
Correct, OpenDental won't give you the option to automatically create broken appointment adjustments as long as you have the D9986 code.
Hersheydmd wrote:First of all it is important that patients can see on their statements how many broken and cancelled appointments they had. Second, the front desk staff works from the Account Module, they rarely look at the Chart Module. It's more important that they see the broken & canceled appts than the clinical staff.
These are going to be completed procedures so they will show in the account module as well as on statements. The point of them being completed procedures is so they will act no differently than the adjustments except that we can use a better metric for determining appointments that have been broken (D9986 as a proc code). This also allows you to attach a procfee to charge customers that break appointments if you so choose.
Allen
Open Dental Software

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:35 am

Didn't really need to make a procedure. Still was listed on a statement when we charged for a missed appointment as though it was a procedure. Still could track it with a query of the adjustment table.
I guess some of these original features that are changed should be made optional as OD gets more and more complicated.

Just my 2¢

drtmz

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:43 am

adearmondsattler wrote: These are going to be completed procedures so they will show in the account module as well as on statements.
AHHH, yes, of course. I should have realized that. Very good.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Third Coast

Post by Third Coast » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 am

What's the best way to set an appointment as a Cancelled Appointment (D9987)t as opposed to a Missed Appointment (D9986)?

That seems to be the more frequent situation for us, and the front is used to using the "Break Appointment" option in the Appointments window.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:37 pm

So, the way I understand it, if I change D9986 to D9987 the color will change in the Chart and the Account from blue to black, and there is no way at this time to make it blue.
Also, if I add an adjustment then I'll have two entries in the Account for the cancelled appt, and there is no way to make them one.
Are those both correct?

Assuming they are then I would rather have a blue adjustment in the Account module and nothing in the chart module.
So here is how I set it up:
  1. Setup the Appts Module Preferences so the option "Make adjustment in addition to broken appt procedure" is checked
  2. Break the appointment
  3. Cancel the "Broken Appointment Procedure" window that pops up
  4. In the "Adjustment" window that pops up next, choose "Cancelled Appointment" from the list of Additions, and set the Adjustment date to today & the Procedure date to the date of the appointment
  5. in the Note type the date of the appointment again, so when you are looking at the account page both dates are visible and you can tell at a glance how much notice the patient gave for the cancellation without having to double click and open it
My entry looks like this:
01/15/2016 | Patient FN | Provider| Adjust | Cancelled Appointment - for 01/18/2016 | 0.00
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234