What Dexis software do I need to work with OD?

For users or potential users.
doperio

What Dexis software do I need to work with OD?

Post by doperio » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 pm

I am considering on buying both OD and Dexis for a new start up practice with 2 operatories. The Dexis rep has not been very helpful with regard to what I need. He's pushing for me to buy the full Dexis software package, which includes DEXray, DEXnet, DEXScan, DEXPan, DEXImage, and DexIntegrator.

The standard Dexis Platinum Digital X-ray System comes with the DEXray Software.

Is the DEXRay software adequate to run Dexis through OD with the Bridge? Do I need to buy the DEXnet or DEXIntegrator?

Thanks for your help!! :)

Hersheydmd

Re: What Dexis software do I need to work with OD?

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:14 pm

doperio wrote:I am considering on buying both OD and Dexis for a new start up practice with 2 operatories. The Dexis rep has not been very helpful with regard to what I need. He's pushing for me to buy the full Dexis software package, which includes DEXray, DEXnet, DEXScan, DEXPan, DEXImage, and DexIntegrator.

The standard Dexis Platinum Digital X-ray System comes with the DEXray Software.

Is the DEXRay software adequate to run Dexis through OD with the Bridge? Do I need to buy the DEXnet or DEXIntegrator?

Thanks for your help!! :)
I'm using Dexis for over 12 years and OpenDental 6 years. They work very well together.
You absolutely need DEXray (view, capture & manage radiographs) & DEXImage (view, capture and manage intra-oral and extra-oral camera images from a digital photo camera, intra-oral video camera or microscope). For simplicity & efficiency you will want to keep your radiographs and photos in the same place (same window).
You'll need DEXnet so you can use Dexis across your network; take radiographs in both operatories; and view & access your radiographs from other workstations in the office. You should set up your DexisData folder on your server so you can access it from across your network. You don't need it if you are using Dexis on a mobile Laptop that you are moving from room to room, but keep in mind that you won't be able to access your radiographs from your front desk either, which will hinder sharing with other doctors and uploading to insurance companies.
I don't think you need DexIntegrator. Open Dental doesn't require a "bridge" to work with Dexis. Open Dental uses "Links" which are free and already built into Open Dental.
You probably won't use DexScan much unless you have a transparency scanner and plan to scan in film radiographs.
I can't comment on DexPan. I don't have it. I am still able to import pans from my iCat into Dexis, so I don't know what advantage DexPan would afford.
DexWrite is good if you want to create referral letters from within Dexis. I have it and used it in the beginning, but now I just create my letters in my e-mail program and attach radiographs to the e-mail by exporting them from Dexis to the Dexis "comm" folder and then attaching them to the e-mail. I don't send snail mail. I am paperless.
I don't use DexImplant. If you are placing your own implants you'll probably use 3-D planning software and won't have any need for DexImplant.

Keep in mind that if you purchase Dexis and want to add modules later they will probably cost you a lot more than if you get the package today. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Over the next 10 years you will be very happy you invested in Dexis and the difference in cost will seem negligible.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

doperio

Post by doperio » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the thorough response :)

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 pm

The keyword here is " Start-up Practice". In my opinion you should look into the other options that are much more economical than Dexis , and possible , just as good. The Uniray sensor is the same size as the Dexis (1.5), thinner and it come with a better warranty. For Pedo, you will need a size 1 no matter what the Dexis rep tells you. (Disclaimer:No I don't work for VideoDental). Couple that with Apteryx XV Lite and you will find a happy Open Dental experience . With XVLite you have the liberty to choose from any Camera and/or Pano machine in the future. If you end up buying Dexis, the very least they can do is to give all the modules for the price you pay. Otherwise, enabling any module not available after purchasing it, will cost you a lot of money. Be warned, you will be locked into buying expensive ongoing support which is must if you buy into the Dexis experience. So if you think you deserve a good vacation or expand your office to make more money keep looking. So far, you have been very wise into choosing OD now you only need the other half ! :mrgreen:

Good Luck!
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:38 am

I am guessing from your profile name that you are a periodontist, so I don't think you'll be treating that many small children. Regardless, we manage fine without a size 1 sensor and we treat both adults and kids. I rarely find it necessary to expose young children before the six year molars erupt (trans-illumination & the Diagnodent are sufficient to detect caries on deciduous teeth).
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

doperio

Post by doperio » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:56 pm

What's attracting me to Dexis is the ability to take vertical bitewings. I have extensive experience with XDR, been working with it for 6-7 years now, and unfortunately, the horizontal bitewings leave much to be desired :/