Prevent Employees From Clocking-in Too Early

For users or potential users.
MikeS3000

Prevent Employees From Clocking-in Too Early

Post by MikeS3000 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 am

Is there a way in the software to setup a schedule for employees that is associated with the time card which would prevent employees being able to clock-in to start the day before a defined time? We have rules about when employees can clock in to start the day, and recently they have been abusing this and clocking in earlier and earlier. I also have rules for lunch and when they leave for the day, but this is a little more relaxed. It just annoys me when they take advantage of us and clock in too early and milk the clock before their shift is supposed to start.

bpcomp

Re: Prevent Employees From Clocking-in Too Early

Post by bpcomp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:35 pm

If you have employees who are doing time theft, then restricting when they can clock in is not your main issue. You main issue is time theft and I would present it to them as that and explain that if they break the rules then they will get a warning etc until they are let go.

MikeS3000

Post by MikeS3000 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:55 pm

Gotcha. Yeah, they had a stern lecture at morning huddle today and they all signed off on the Time Clock rules. It's amazing that some of them still had the audacity to make some snide remarks over this. They don't understand that clocking in 10 mins. early every day for 5 days a week, multiplied by 4 employees can cost me some serious money in a year. The same thing goes for not taking their full lunch break as I ask. What's funny is that we go over time card issues about once a year and they magically forget that we talked about it. Since my hygienist is very honest and clocks in and out appropriately, I praised him in huddle and had him review the rules with the staff to show the rest of them that at least someone in the office knows and is following the rules. That kind of shut them up.

So nothing in the software itself to control the time clock, eh?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:46 am

So as for limiting when they can clock in, I looked around but didn't find anything.

As for having this problem once a year, you gave your talk and that's final. Next person who violates the rules (even if it's 3 months from now) you give them a write up or however you handle personnel issues. No more warnings. Now maybe I'm just to hard and you will lose some employees over being too hard on them. I don't know if it would help to show them the numbers but if you have 10 minutes with 4 employees is 3.33 hours every week. If you work 50 weeks a year then that is 166.67 hours that you are paying out. That is 4 weeks of pay for a full time employee, and that is not counting short lunches etc. Now you are happy to pay your employees for the hours that you've agreed to employ them. What you are not happy with is paying for extra time that you did not agree too. Maybe a fudge here and there you let go, but if you see early clock in pattern then you need to confront it right away.

Those are my two cents and you may do with them as you will. Ultimately though it's up to you to set the tone and enforce the rules.

Arna

Post by Arna » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 am

Feature Request 2426 - Timecards prevent clocking in before certain time.
Feature Request 3357 - Timecards highlight red when employee works outside scheduled hours
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

StarDent

Post by StarDent » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:04 am

I know this is an old blog. But I am also interested in implementing this feature #2426. Appreciate if the original doc and fellow OP users to join in and comment on it. I have already pledge all 100 points to this feature. Thank you

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 am

There are many "Time Clock" programs or services available online that can satisfy what you are looking for, try to Google that

StarDent

Post by StarDent » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you for reply. Are you suggesting to not use the OP system and just buy a separate program/software to keep track of time clock?