Windows 10

For users or potential users.
Nate

Windows 10

Post by Nate » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I wanted to know if Open Dental is being tested with Windows 10? Will there be any issues with upgrading computers at the office later this year with the new Windows version, or will we have to wait for testing after final windows 10 is released?
Thanks

jsalmon

Re: Windows 10

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:04 am

We did not request an early release of Windows 10 for testing. I can't imagine they will drastically change things around like they did from 7 to 8 so it should be fine.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:22 am

God help us all.

I still like 7. This is coming from a guy who uses the much hated "Unity"... :D

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 pm

I am using windows 10 preview on a couple of computers...works flawlessly and what windows 8 should have been: the quick, light, speed of windows 8, with an actual start menu, ALWAYS a task bar, and all programs opening in a real window instead of that full screen junk...after all, this is WINDOWS....
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

jamescfuller

Post by jamescfuller » Mon May 04, 2015 5:53 pm

I am testing Win 10 and I can say that Build 10074 works with OD with no problems so far.
I have used it in the office and through VPN. I am having issues with our imaging software, but that is for other support forums.

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Did you all try windows 10 as a workstation or as a server?

I have windows errors which prevented the full installation of the mysql server on the latest insdier windows 10.

opps.. did not install as administrator..thats why..silly me

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 am

Today's is Windows 10 day, so I thought I'd give this thread a little bump. I haven't upgraded any of our computers to 10 yet, but I'm planning on rolling it out soon. From what I've read, Windows 7 & 8 users will get free upgrades for a year, so it seems like it would make sense for anyone currently using either OS to make the jump. I'll report back once I've rolled out an update or two for myself. Anyone taking the plunge today?
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:44 am

I've been using Windows 10 for the past two days and it has been wonderful. Open Dental has worked fine on it for me.
Keep in mind that I use Open Dental for development purposes and not for a practice so my experience my be slightly different.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 pm

Two non-operatory PCs (and two PCs at my home) are running flawlessly. These don't have xray sensors plugged in so not sure if that is going to work. Probably yes. Other than that uncertainty its what Windows 8/8.1 should have been. Just be careful when you agree to the Use Express Settings during Setup.

FDC

Post by FDC » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:50 am

Jay wrote:Just be careful when you agree to the Use Express Settings during Setup.
Can you elaborate on this Jay?

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 am

Installation using the express settings will (from what I've read about it, anyways) turn on a bunch of Windows 10 features that can cause security problems. For instance, using the express settings will enable a feature (called WiFi Sense) that can share your WiFi password with contacts you have on Skype, Facebook, or Outlook, automatically. It's intended to enable friends to come over with their laptops or what-not and automatically have connectivity to the network without you having to give them the password. The catch is that if your contacts have WiFi Sense on your password will also be shared with their contacts and you have no control over how they share it so that would allow people to potentially connect to your network from a friend of a friend of a third cousin of your brother's son. If you are concerned about security then I would take a careful look at the features of Windows 10 and turn off those that seem to be a security threat.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm

dgraffeo wrote:Installation using the express settings will (from what I've read about it, anyways) turn on a bunch of Windows 10 features that can cause security problems.
That pretty much sums it up. I would choose NOT to Customize and to switch off any unnecessary Privacy Invading features.

There are other annoyances as well e.g. the process to change the default browser to Chrome or the default search engine to Google is needlessly convoluted. But so far, all the annoyances I have detected are by design and not by accident which is not always the case with Microsoft.

Bottom line (with fingers crossed): It has been the most painless OS upgrade in my experience.

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 am

im running windows 10 on my private office computers and home ... OD works without a hitch. when i installed i turned off the customization, etc etc

pid_user

Post by pid_user » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:52 am

Folks,

Has anyone faced color issues on Graphical Tooth Chart in Windows10?
In my case, it has become grayscale and very annoying to use.

Please do share your experience and if anyone has fixed the issue, please do share.

Thanks,
PID

tgriswold

Post by tgriswold » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:09 am

I have not heard of this issue yet here at OpenDental. If you go to File->Graphics in OD, does it say you are using DirectX, Simple Tooth Chart or OpenGL?. If you call in to OpenDental our staff can help you troubleshoot.
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software

pid_user

Post by pid_user » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 pm

tgriswold wrote:I have not heard of this issue yet here at OpenDental. If you go to File->Graphics in OD, does it say you are using DirectX, Simple Tooth Chart or OpenGL?. If you call in to OpenDental our staff can help you troubleshoot.
Thanks for your reply. DirectX got disabled with Windows 10 upgrade. Reinstalled and things back to normal.