Changes to "Procedure Codes"

For users or potential users.
dqadri

Changes to "Procedure Codes"

Post by dqadri » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:37 am

Hello,

I'm a recent conversion into Open Dental, and still muddling through all the features. A few things I noticed as compared to my previous program involve picking teeth #s for certain procedures.

Typically in the past, a D9110 - Palliative treatment would require a treatment area, whereas OD did not. Also, two new codes in CDT 2015 are D6011 - second stage implant surgery and D6013 - mini implant surgery did not have the ability to pick tooth numbers. I went to Lists --> Procedure Codes and I modified the CDT codes for these three codes, and changed the Treatment Area to "Tooth". This allowed me the functionality that I want.

The question, is with upgrades and updates to new CDTs, will OD revert my modifications back to their original settings?

Thanks,

Danish Qadri, DMD
Lake Family Dentistry
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

jsalmon

Re: Changes to "Procedure Codes"

Post by jsalmon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:00 pm

dqadri wrote:The question, is with upgrades and updates to new CDTs, will OD revert my modifications back to their original settings?
No
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

dqadri

Post by dqadri » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Followup question: Since I've migrated from a really old software, I still have really old CDT codes (i.e CDT1 or 2). I need to go through and manually move these codes to the "Obsolete" category right?

Does this happen automagically with newer CDT codes, or is this something I have to do manually each year when the new CDT code comes out? An example is D1201 through D1204 which were deprecated and removed I think in CDT2014.
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 am

I can't guarantee what happens for really old codes (prior to 2010), but since I've worked here we've been good about moving codes to the "Obsolete" category when the CDT deprecates them.
The example you used of D1204 was "automagically" moved to the Obsolete category back in Open Dental v12.4.30 due to CDT2013 deprecating it.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com