Backup

For users or potential users.
boboffice

Backup

Post by boboffice » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Is anyone else having a problem in the newest beta with the backup refusing to finish? It gets mostly through the A-Z folder then stops....
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

jsalmon

Re: Backup

Post by jsalmon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:55 am

Often times it has to do with a file currently in use or with higher permissions than what permissions your user has that launched Open Dental. We often just suggest running Open Dental as an administrator and that will fix the issue 85% of the time. I sometimes like to stop sharing the OpenDentImages share (after hours of course) because Windows will tell you that a user will be disconnected from the file they have open. Otherwise it could be something deeper, you might consider giving us a call to help you out.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:58 am

Not sure if this is related, but we updated to 14.3.22 on Friday. When I attempted to restore the backup from the office to my home computer, the Norton SONAR kept identifying the updater file as having an issue. It would not let the home computer database be converted to 14.3.22. I eventually disabled the Norton and let the update convert the database and then re-activated the Norton. Everything is working fine now and the home computer has been OK. I guess we will see Monday if the office computer has trouble backing up.

Jim

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes, Antivirus programs cause a lot of problems when trying to run updating software, sadly.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 pm

It was the permissions of the destination folder... fixed and back to normal. Thanks.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA