Scanning old records into the images module

For users or potential users.
drforlano

Scanning old records into the images module

Post by drforlano » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am

Could anyone recommend a fast scanner so i can scan all of my paper charts into the images module in the most efficient way possible? I am considering the Fujitsu FI5110C. It scans 15ppm.

Also, i'm assuming the most efficient way is to scan everything into one folder in "images" and then later sort everything, ie: registration, med hx, cahrting, progress notes,.... Is there a more efficient way?

dsse

Re: Scanning old records into the images module

Post by dsse » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:28 pm

I am also very interested if anyone has tried this scanner with OD. I have Fujitsu ScanSnap S500 and it is terrific but is does not support TWAIN, so you have to scan into a temporary folder like you mentioned and then import the files into OD.

The Fujitsu FI5110C does support TWAIN so you should be able to click the scan button in the imaging section in OD and scan directly into the program.

I hate to spend that kind of money not knowing whether it works correctly with OD.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:47 am

We've been using the fugitsu5120c since Jan '07. It has been working well, scans a document very quickly and goes directly into OD in 1-2 seconds.

There is one disappointment I had. I purchased this scanner to convert our old paper charts to images in OD. I thought it could scan multiple documents into OD with the touch of a button.... I thought we could stack 10 or more pages in the scanner, push a button and walk away. That is not the case. Although the feeder supports multiple documents, you can scan only 1 page at a time. I believe this obstacle lies with OD, not the scanner.

All in all, it does the job for us. It takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes for us to dismantle a paper chart, remove any staples, scan the pages into OD, sort and date the pages in OD and then put the paper chart back together....(we still keep the paper charts in storage).

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:33 am

It seems Justin Shafer had a way to scan multiple sheets into OD....I'll ask him
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA