Tablet help

For users or potential users.
troyr

Tablet help

Post by troyr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 am

I've read through many of the threads regarding which tablet would run OD as a kiosk. It seems there is only 1 Windows 8 tablet, the Surface Pro, which works At nearly a grand, I would rather not invest that much into a tablet. What other brands are working well for any of you, ie: Windows 7 OS, Android systems....?

Jorgebon

Re: Tablet help

Post by Jorgebon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:24 am

It has to be a tablet with Windows. Android will not work. Neither will small versions of windows like Windows RT. It also has to have a way to connect to your network, either by wired means or wireless if your network has the capability. The only other requirement I can think of is that the screen's vertical resolution should be 768 or higher.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

troyr

Post by troyr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 am

Thanks Jorge!

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 am

I have an Asus Vivotab that I tried out. Open Dental ran on it, but that particular tablet did not have the "pinch-zoom" option for applications, so it was not very usable for signing consent forms, etc.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

troyr

Post by troyr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 am

Kevin, does the Asus have Windows 7 or 8? That's been my concern with the tablets not being able to pinch/zoom or the program not fitting the screen well. Costco carries an Asus model I'm considering as well as a couple cheap tablets which operate Windows 8. Thanks!

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:31 am

troyr wrote:Kevin, does the Asus have Windows 7 or 8? That's been my concern with the tablets not being able to pinch/zoom or the program not fitting the screen well. Costco carries an Asus model I'm considering as well as a couple cheap tablets which operate Windows 8. Thanks!
It is Windows 8(.1). Pinch and zoom work in "Desktop" mode, but it does in "Metro" mode (that's what Microsoft calls them). There could very well be a setting that I need to tweak to make that work, but Open Dental only works in desktop mode as far as I'm aware.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

SSDC

Post by SSDC » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 pm

I purchased a Surface Pro 64GB (used) on Ebay for $630....works perfectly!
They have the newer versions now so it is less expensive to purchase the older version. The Surface is the better way to go...there were many being auctioned off when i did purchase.
Check out Ebay, I wasn't willing to spend $1000 either!!

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 pm

Also, Black Friday sales can often score you a good deal. Some retailers start sales early. This is the time of year to buy!
I was at Best Buy yesterday and it was scary how easy it could be to shell out $1K for a computer. (I almost walked out with a 4K TV...)
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

tgriswold

Post by tgriswold » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Or $2,500 for a computer.... but I can't program at home without a computer. Its for work I swear...
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

StevenB

Post by StevenB » Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 pm

I just purchased a really cheap tablet on sale for my kids to take overseas next week for wifi/ skype, email, etc. On a whim, I came to my office today to check it out since it has Win 8.1 installed. We're talking $49, digiland 8" Intel Atom 16 GB, 1280 X 800, quad core. Anyway, it works. I test emailed to myself, even signed a tx plan easily. Did not have to install any dot nets.

This is the link from Best Buy if you are interested http://www.bestbuy.com/site/digiland-8- ... ksdevice=c

They also make a 10 inch which would probably be more useable. I'm not necessarily recommending it, just saying there are some win tablets out there now that could work for less than a surface pro. As far as I can tell, it won't swipe and expand the screen within OD, but I only installed it about 20 minutes ago and still playing.

I was looking for something (disposable?) my boys can take backpacking through Israel and Europe so I'm not really sure how well the brand would really hold up, but it seems to work well.

In OD all the tabs work well with slight delay. For office use I would probably go larger and more durable with better specs.

I'm just letting anyone know who may be interested for work or play.

Steven Bloom, DDS