Yet Another Server Question

For users or potential users.
mkleive

Yet Another Server Question

Post by mkleive » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:05 pm

I need to upgrade from Server 2003 R2 as it won't be supported 9 months from now. My current server machine is a 3 year old Dell T310. I am conflicted as to an upgrade to 2008 R2 or 2012 Server Essentials. Because I have 13 computers in the office I'm even considering a workgroup arrangement. The use of bitlocker or similar is really my only requirement.

From those on the forum who are savvy in this area what do you recommend?

KevinRossen

Re: Yet Another Server Question

Post by KevinRossen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:44 pm

The only thing you really need a "Server" for is to manage a domain and the extra bells and whistles that come with that flavor of Windows. We have 17 computers in our office and at this point I probably wouldn't get a "server" as it's more work to manage than it's really worth.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

mkleive

Post by mkleive » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:25 am

Kevin,

Maybe I could ask the question differently: Being that I already own the hardware and I need a computer to function as the main database for OD, Apteryx and Sidexis, do I continue to utilize a domain with 2008 R2 or 2012 Essentials or just create a workgroup? The time is running out on Server 2003 R2.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 am

This is not the opinion of Open Dental, this is just my personal opinion from my experiences with both OS:
I would go with Server 2012. It's quick and light on its feet. The only frustrating part is the fact that they moved things around (yet again). Once you get used to the layout it's a relatively pleasant experience. Whether or not you utilize a domain or workgroup is completely up to you. Either work fine with Open Dental. It's just a matter of how much control you want over what goes on in the workplace network wise.

However, you definitely need to read up on your other softwares to make sure they support the newer OS. That will be the quickest way to determine which you should go with.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

willcipriano

Post by willcipriano » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:47 am

I can recommend 2012 r2, we use it and it doesn't give any problems.