Backing up with a laptop that is being used with od

For users or potential users.
aussiedentist

Backing up with a laptop that is being used with od

Post by aussiedentist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:24 am

Ok,I have 3 surgery computers, and one reception one, which is being used as the server.

I also have a home computer, where I will set up od, and use to check backups.

I bought a laptop, with the intention of this being one which i would use as a backup, in case of emergency ( I backup to an external hard drive every few days)

I installed ultimo dental (aussie version of open) onto this laptop, and are using it in reception, instead of buying a second reception computer.

I contacted ultimo, which does not want to use the laptop as both a reception computer, and a backup (in case of emergency). Something about being on the server, and acting as a backup is not a good idea. I understand that sooner or later someone will fuckitupbigtime by using the wrong database. I intend to avoid this by just never using the laptop to check backups, or anything else like this, UNLESS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, ie power failure, etc, in which case it will serve in case of emergency

So, what are my options? I would like to

Keep my 3 surg tower computers, my one recept tower computer, my one laptop
Check my extenal hard drive backups on my HOME computer
In the event of catastrophic failure, use the laptop and the latest external hard drive I can get my hands on

Alternatively, buy another tower, which ultimo is suggesting (I personally hate laptops) to use in reception, in which case the laptop I bought can be used in case of emergency. However, this makes the laptop effectively useless ( i have no use for it whatsoever, and detest laptops entirely!)

Another option may be just to stay as is, and just bring my home computer in when disaster strikes (I am two minutes drive from home), and just keep using the laptop as a reception computer.

I tried to talk about my options, but it seems we have a difference of opinions (and I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my depth on my understanding of the technicalities!)

KevinRossen

Re: Backing up with a laptop that is being used with od

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 am

Hi aussiedent.

I have a laptop that I use for almost the same purpose. They are correct that you shouldn't use your server as a workstation (bad practice). But what you're describing is the laptop would only be an emergency backup. If you're needing a server on an emergency basis, all "best practice" models are thrown out. You have bigger issues to deal with at that point (keep the practice flowing).

The biggest problem that can happen has to do with the "Choose Database" window. It pops up on my laptop, but that's because I verify my backups on a regular basis. You can turn it off (see screenshot below). Honestly, I don't think you really need another tower based on what you're saying.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

aussiedentist

Post by aussiedentist » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:27 am

Ok, so I agree with what you are saying (not just because it suits me either!!)

Lets say I backup my external hard drive and test it at home, and all is good.

Power failure happens at work, and I need to use the laptop.

How do i set it up?

Is it a simple matter of plugging in my hard drive, and then somehow pointing od to the hard drive? How do i change this???

And then making sure that those changes are made to the original database before using the old one?

mopensoft

Post by mopensoft » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 pm

From my understanding, you need to back up database and data folders.

You can install a full version of OD on your laptop after than you will know where your database folder and data folders are. If you have back up on external hard drive, you need to change the database and OD data folder path to point to corresponding folders on your hard drive.

You can change OD data folder path in OD itself. Change mysql database folder, you need to look at the config file of mysql.

Other way is copy your backed up database in your database folder on your laptop and do the same think with OD data folders.

Haven't tried but it might work.

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am

You'll need to setup the laptop as a "server" which sounds more difficult than it really is. Easiest way is to download the trial version of Open Dental (or Aussie equivalent), and go through the steps for setting up a server. Shoot me an email if you'd like more info. Kevin at dynamicdentists dot com.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com