Synology DS214 with MYSQL running OD

For users or potential users.
yoman

Synology DS214 with MYSQL running OD

Post by yoman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 am

I can run the OD with my Synology DS 214 Nas successfully with the built in mysql and the shared image folder without problem right now. The performance is quite good and everything seems alright. But I just wonder if there is any hidden problem not yet met. Anyone have the same setup to run the database on the nas who can share the experience?

drtech

Re: Synology DS214 with MYSQL running OD

Post by drtech » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:53 am

I found performance to be very lacking on my Thecus 5200, but it has a weak Atom processor. Also, the MySQL version was old and out of date. Hopefully it works well for you.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm

yoman wrote:I can run the OD with my Synology DS 214 Nas successfully with the built in mysql and the shared image folder without problem right now. The performance is quite good and everything seems alright. But I just wonder if there is any hidden problem not yet met. Anyone have the same setup to run the database on the nas who can share the experience?
Could you share how you did this with us? I am very keen to use a NAS to share the mysql file as well, instead of my current Windows 7 PC. My NAS is a Zyxel NSA320. Much thanks

yoman

Post by yoman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 am

First of all, you need to check if your nas can support the mysql module , as the synology nas can install the mysql module to it . And after that, I will dump the whole database from the PC myqsl and import to the nas mysql with navicat. Share a folder for opendentalimage on the nas. Configure the OD program to access the nas mysql and opendentaimage folder . That'a all.

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:32 pm

yoman wrote:First of all, you need to check if your nas can support the mysql module , as the synology nas can install the mysql module to it . And after that, I will dump the whole database from the PC myqsl and import to the nas mysql with navicat. Share a folder for opendentalimage on the nas. Configure the OD program to access the nas mysql and opendentaimage folder . That'a all.
Thank you for your reply. My zyxel NSA320 supports mysql. But I understand the version of mysql server is also important for Opendental? What about the CPU chip on the NSA, would it make a difference? My Opendentalimage folder is already shared on the NAS. I have an older SYnology DS106e but I think its too slow for such a task?

Much thanks.

yoman

Post by yoman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 pm

The version of OD indicated he version of Mysql, the current version should run on mysql 5.5 , that's lucky that my nas run the same myqsl .
The cpu of the nas should affect the performance, my nas run with Dual Core 1.066 GHz and it is quick responsive .

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:27 am

yoman wrote:First of all, you need to check if your nas can support the mysql module , as the synology nas can install the mysql module to it . And after that, I will dump the whole database from the PC myqsl and import to the nas mysql with navicat. Share a folder for opendentalimage on the nas. Configure the OD program to access the nas mysql and opendentaimage folder . That'a all.
Sorry, pardon my noob questions.

How exactly do you "dump the whole database and import to the nas mysql with NAVICAT"?

yoman

Post by yoman » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:20 am

I will first prepare all the data in the local machine mysql and after that use the function in Navicat "Data transfer" to dump the whole database to the NAS. But remember to make a null database in the NAS mysql before transfer. All done without error

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Wow! Finally synology upgraded to mysql 5.5! I tried for a several times over the last couple of years to use my diskstation as my server and was stopped by that. Of course right after I break down and buy a dell server they upgrade. If the diskstation could backup to CDS (central data storage), it would be a near perfect low cost server.

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:46 pm

bcpayne wrote:Wow! Finally synology upgraded to mysql 5.5! I tried for a several times over the last couple of years to use my diskstation as my server and was stopped by that. Of course right after I break down and buy a dell server they upgrade. If the diskstation could backup to CDS (central data storage), it would be a near perfect low cost server.
Hi, do you think a DS 411 +11 will have sufficient CPU power to host the mysql database smoothly? I have also upgraded it to 2MB ram

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 am

yoman wrote:I will first prepare all the data in the local machine mysql and after that use the function in Navicat "Data transfer" to dump the whole database to the NAS. But remember to make a null database in the NAS mysql before transfer. All done without error

I managed to DIY a Xpenology server , running DSM 5. With an intel duo core CPU on a LGA 775 motherboard with 8 GB ram

Sorry again for the noob questions. But preparing data means just backing up as per normal?

How do I make a null database in the Synology NAS?

So I use Navicat to open the mysql database from the saved directory, and then "data transfer" to the NAS?

How to direct the workstations to the new location of the database? do I still need to open port 3306 for the NAS IP address?

much thanks.

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 pm

yoman wrote:I will first prepare all the data in the local machine mysql and after that use the function in Navicat "Data transfer" to dump the whole database to the NAS. But remember to make a null database in the NAS mysql before transfer. All done without error
Which directory did you point to when you configure the "backup form" and "restore to" section in Opendental , after you migrated to the DS214 for opendental?

Much thanks

Note: I figured it out. Just backup the mysql database on the NAS itself. Can even create a script to do so regularly with task scheduler

oh an another thing, you do not even need to get a "real" synology NAS. You can custom DIY your own xpenology NAS