Backing up with IDRIVE.COM!

For users or potential users.
Justin Shafer

Backing up with IDRIVE.COM!

Post by Justin Shafer » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm

https://www.idrive.com/idrive-express-faq.htm#1

Best part about it.

How would 'IDrive Express' via physical storage shipment help me?

IDrive allows for quick backup and retrieval of data up to 3 TB via a temporary storage device.

This is a FREE service, available once a year for Pro Personal users and thrice yearly for Pro Business users (either backup or retrieval). Subsequent service requests will be subject to the $59.95 charge. This service includes free return shipping and is available in the USA, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Australia and the UK.

Benefits

The temporary storage device is shipped to your location, thus the load on bandwidth at your end is greatly alleviated.
This service enables you to quickly transfer data up to 3 TB, often in just a week or under.
Your data will be stored encrypted with an optional private key throughout the process.

I have close to a TB of data. How would I back this up online fast without using up my Internet bandwidth?

Backing up data of a TB can be done online, but may take several days, often weeks. Use IDrive Express service to physically transfer large amounts of data.
Steps for Backup

Fill in the hard drive shipment form available at https://www.idrive.com/idrive/home/hardDrive.
Once, you receive the temporary storage device, backup your data using the IDrive Express application to the device and ship it back to IDrive. We will upload the data to your IDrive online account.
Once the data is transferred from the device to your IDrive online account, you can continue incremental backups through the conventional online backup process.

Note: You will be responsible for arranging shipping, handling, tracking and insuring the storage device back to IDrive. IDrive assumes no liability for a lost or damaged drive or for loss or breach of data during the return shipment process. You acknowledge that if you don't use the current version of IDrive Express application to backup your data to the drive, it is possible that the data is possibly stored unencrypted on the storage device and that no sensitive data is included.

bpcomp

Re: Backing up with IDRIVE.COM!

Post by bpcomp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:47 am

So I just did some homework on them and found that they are Hipaa compliant if you set up with the private key encryption. The best answer I was able to get on if it would work with our Patterson Imaging database is that it should work and we can do a 15 day trial to test it out. I'm probably going to take a clone of the virtual machine and test it out to see how it handles continuous backup of our live data(OD and Imaging). If it can do that then we'll probably sign up. I have daily clones of the server but real-time backup of the patient data would be great to add on.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Brave man! I have it set to run daily at 11 pm. Let me know what you find out in regard to continuous backup. I don't know how that would run on mysql. I disable the service before 11:00 so the mysql/data has no locking issues I guess... :D And it might not hurt to schedule a backup to create a SQL file to backup to the cloud with. So you would be backing up the database, and a backup of the database.

And actually, the 2 offices I set this up for are running Dentrix 11 and Easy Dental... :roll: No database service to shutdown there. :mrgreen: Just potential oplock corruption. :lol:
Last edited by Justin Shafer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

They explicitly state that they can backup hot SQL. I asked about continuous backup of the databases and they said they don't recommend it because you lose the advantage of the versioning (all the versions happen in one day). The versioning is not an issue for me because I have daily backups that span a months time. The main reason I would want this service is for the realtime backup of patient data so we don't lose very much with any kind of failure. Our current system leaves us open to losing a whole day if something goes wrong before the nightly backup.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Sweet! Great info! Gracias!

Sweet!

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 pm

ive been using Crashplan for continuous backup. It backs up to Crashplan central, and also to another PC in my office, and a PC at home. if something goes down, i always have a local backup so i wouldnt have to wait a few days to get my data.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:45 am

My previous research into Crashplan was that they didn't handle backup of hot sql databases. They recommend to do a sql dump for sql backup. They suggested that it might work but they said it was iffy to try and backup the data hot. That factor may have changed http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Lat ... _Databases

Have you tried taking a middle of the day hot backup and restoring it to see how it works?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:39 am

Someone asked me to check out BackBlaze.. I told the doc no.

What do you guys think?

=======================================================================================================
Backblaze Sales

Attachments5:22 PM (10 hours ago)

Hi Justin,

I've attached a datasheet on Backblaze and HIPAA compliance in case you'd like to review it.

Backblaze takes security of the data that is being backed up very seriously. First, before transmitting any files, we encrypt them on your computer using the AES 128-bit encryption algorithm. Secondly, we transmit this encrypted data using an encrypted connection (HTTPS) to our data center. The data is then stored on one of our many storage pods in this encrypted format.

By default, your data is encrypted with a private key that we keep in a very secure location. Access to it is secured by the password you use for your account. This way, if you lose your password, we can confirm your identity and give you the ability to reset your password. For additional security, you can specify your own private encryption key. If a private encryption key is specified, the data is encrypted to that key and only the key will unlock it. if you lose the key, you lose your data.

More information on how we manage this encryption can be found on our blog: http://blog.backblaze.com/2008/11/12/ho ... sy-to-use/

Lastly, all of our storage pods are stored in a highly secure tier 1 data center. The physical equipment can only be accessed via biometric signatures and authorized keycards.

However, our service has never been audited for HIPAA compliance or issues any HIPAA certifications.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
Backblaze Sales
salescontact@backblaze.com
Backup, before you wish you had.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Justin Shafer <justinshafer@gmail.com> wrote:

Is your service Hipaa Compliant?

Do you use AES 256 encryption during transport?

Thanks!

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:06 pm

A friend made a point that having the BAA is the main thing to have. Regardless of 128 or 256.

https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-st ... Backup.htm

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:53 am

Sorry Justin, what is BAA?

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am

BAA is a Business Associate Agreement.
A Business Associate Agreement should be signed by anyone who access to your PHI (Protected Health Information). As a provider, it is your responsibility to protect your data and a BAA is a contract that outlines exactly what a third party may or may not do with your data.

A copy of Open Dental's BAA is here: http://opendental.com/manual/Business%2 ... eement.pdf
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks Arna!

Someone wanted me to sign the ADA BAA... I read it.. and thought it was too vague.

This is much better!

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:55 am

Although this page is for Linux, it recommends a dump file. Is the Windows environment different?

https://www.idrive.com/faq_linux.htm#linux5

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 am

https://www.idrive.com/idrive-for-mssql-faq.htm

My understanding is that idrive will automate the dump file creation and back it up under windows. It will also do real-time backup using either VSS or something like VSS. With backup of a hot database under VSS, there still exists the possibility of errors being introduced if the backup happens during a write that VSS can't handle. The mitigating factor is that you can do continuous backup every 10 minutes on your database. They allow versioning back 30 steps and if you are getting a version every 10 minutes, then you have 5 hour rolling backup. Even if the most recent backup has an error, you should be able to find a good working version of your data somewhere in that 5 hour window and minimize data loss.

irfan

Post by irfan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Does idrive backup online only, or can you back up peer to peer/local PCs like you can in crashplan?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm

idrive handles online only. We have a different backup for local backup.

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 pm

"
bpcomp wrote:idrive handles online only. We have a different backup for local backup.
What is your local option?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:00 pm

I run the server as a virtual machine with a Linux host. I have scripts that will suspend the server and clone if over to our backup server which also plays movies for the kids. If the main server ever takes a dump physically, we boot a copy of the virtual server on the backup machine and have the office back up and running. The backup server keeps once a week copies of the VM going back one month. Every night we rotate out a USB drive and the nightly VM clone is copied to the USB drive (which is encrypted). We take the USB copy off site each night to ensure a working copy of all our data and the domain is OK if the office burnt down. On our USB drives, we have nightly backups going back two weeks.

All our workstations are virtual except two machine that capture xrays from our Schick USB CDR xray which I could never get to run reliably in a virtual environment. If any workstation goes down, I grab the backup workstation and copy the appropriate virtual machine over from the backup server. I do some minimal updating and that computer is back up and running. We order a new box and when it comes in I put Linux on it and move the virtual machine over to the new box and put the backup machine aside for future use.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:28 am

Wow!! Impressive.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Poor Man's Cluster! :)

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Well I actually considered a cluster and bare metal virtualization, but I wanted a fairly simple setup in terms of being able to walk someone through it over the phone or having any IT company be able to come in and get the office back up and running. Copying and booting a VM from VMware workstation should be within any IT persons abilities. Managing a Xen server is beyond the mom and pop IT realm.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:42 am

Heh Same here...

Except I could hear the doc freaking out if the cluster... broke. So I decided never to do that. :D I asked someone who once tried DoubleTake... If they would do it again, or if they normally sold that.

They said they ONLY sold it to the doc (because he wanted it so badly), and yes.. it broke. :D