Shortcut to Images Folder?

For users or potential users.
KevinRossen

Shortcut to Images Folder?

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 am

I've got an idea I'd like to do, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off. We have a PDF Rx form for a lab we use. I know I could recreate it as a sheet, but, honestly, I like native PDFs better.

What I'd like to be able to quickly save it to a patient's images folder via a command line script. What I need to be able to do, though, is get the path automatically. I'm not sure how to do this or if it's possible, but I thought someone might have an idea.

Any thoughts?
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

KevinRossen

Re: Shortcut to Images Folder?

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 am

Ok, trying a few things. This will open the folder using the last name first letter:

But this won't work (gets error message):
Kevin Rossen

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:48 pm

Also, that's not going to always be accurate. Lets say you misspell the patients name, oops!, or have non-alphabetical characters in their name. Now their AtoZ folder path is different than their "real name". The only way to absolutely get their path is the following:
The 'ValueString' in the preference table where PrefName = 'DocPath' (or however you get your AtoZ path),
The first letter character in their (lastname+firstname),
All of the letter characters in their (lastname+firstname)+PatNum.

Then, that folder name is stored forever in the database (patient table, ImageFolder column). Yes, the misspelling will ALWAYS be there so be warned!

E.g. Patient created:
fname=Jason
lname=#1Salom
patnum=34

My path should be: [AtoZpath]\S\SalomJason34

Patient record gets updated later on in life:
fname=Jason
lname=Salmon
patnum=34

They still have the path of: [AtoZpath]\S\SalomJason34

This is because it would be a waste of resources and time to migrate all the images and documents every time a patient is renamed when how often do users manually go to their patients physical AtoZ image dir? You can just use the images module and if you really really really need to physically get there, right click on a document within the Images module | Info | copy and paste the Path to the document to get their correct path.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:14 pm

jsalmon wrote:This is because it would be a waste of resources and time to migrate all the images and documents every time a patient is renamed when how often do users manually go to their patients physical AtoZ image dir? You can just use the images module and if you really really really need to physically get there, right click on a document within the Images module | Info | copy and paste the Path to the document to get their correct path.
Excellent point and well taken. I see the dilemma in what I'm trying to do. Sometimes it's very complicated to make things simple. I'm 100% comfortable manually getting the AtoZ path, but the rest of the office isn't as technically-savvy.

I'll read up on the plugins now and see if there's something I could develop that route.
Kevin Rossen

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I'll see if I can't think up of an alternative solution for you but so far everything I think up can fail at one point or another and I can't stand creating scripts (or the like) where there's an unknown possibility of failure.
Sorry to keep raining on your parade btw :D
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:48 am

jsalmon wrote:Sorry to keep raining on your parade btw :D
Haha, no rain. You've been VERY helpful all along. I don't mind being told no or it can't be done. I can accept that (when it's true) and I'll either find an alternate way or decide to move on.
Kevin Rossen