Open Dental Shutting Down During Backup

For users or potential users.
gorilla121

Open Dental Shutting Down During Backup

Post by gorilla121 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:32 pm

During the backup procedure open dental is shutting down unexpectedly. No error messages. It is shutting down right after A~Z folder is 99% done. When I checked the A~Z folder the back up did not happen. I had three people try and help but the problem still persists.

1st - Solution was that Window's Update did not update to Net 4.5. I fully upgraded and still the same problem.

2nd - Suggested to remove Net 4.0 and to reinstall. same problem.

3rd - Uninstall Open Dental and reinstall. same problem.

4th - Suggested backing up from a different computer. Backed up!

So what is going on here? Is the server just going whacko?

Rickliftig

Re: Open Dental Shutting Down During Backup

Post by Rickliftig » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Is your storage media full by any chance? I encountered this a long time ago with flash drives. Make sure the storage media is also intact.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:21 pm

The time I saw this it was due to an imaging software storing images in the AtoZ folder as well and they had different permissions which granting read and write to everyone solved the first issue. Then it turned out that the imaging software was constantly utilizing the files thus locking them so as soon as we killed the service that it constantly runs we were able to complete the backup of the images folder.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

gorilla121

Post by gorilla121 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:19 pm

The backup drive was not full. I noticed that my network was set as a public profile. I changed it to private setting and that seemed to correct the problem. The backup's are going through just fine now. Thanks.