Strange behavior Dexis & OD & Outlook in Win8

For users or potential users.
Hersheydmd

Strange behavior Dexis & OD & Outlook in Win8

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm

I have uncovered some odd behavior with Dexis 9.2 & OD 13.2 & Outlook 2013, under Windows 8
I should preface this by mentioning that Dexis support says that Dexis 9 is not compatible or supported with Window 8 and you can't e-mail from Dexis under Windows 8. -- NOT TRUE (well maybe true about the support, but not true about email not working in Win8)

I found that when I open Dexis from a patient's chart in OD, I can ONLY email radiographs from Dexis if Outlook is NOT already running. It Outlook is already running it will hang and not open an email window.
However, if I open Dexis from the desktop (Dexis Administration), I can email radiographs or photos from within Dexis even if Outlook is already running in a separate window.

I am posting this in case anyone else runs into a similar situation. The solution is to either close Outlook first or just reopen Dexis from the Dexis Administration. I prefer the second. You don't even have to close the Dexis window that was opened by OD. You can have both up at the same time. However, you will only be able to email from the window that was opened from Dexis Admin.

If anyone has any thoughts on why this occurs your comments would be welcome.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Manny Ramirez

Re: Strange behavior Dexis & OD & Outlook in Win8

Post by Manny Ramirez » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Next time, run Task Manager. Kill the running Outlook.exe process :)
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Manny Ramirez wrote:Next time, run Task Manager. Kill the running Outlook.exe process :)
Why do it from Task Manager? Not necessary. You can close Outlook normally.
But it isn't even necessary to close Outlook. You can just open another instance of Dexis from your desktop or start menu and that one will work fine.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Upgrade to Dexis 10? Worth a shot...

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Upgrade to Dexis 10? Worth a shot... You could setup a virtual machine with Dexis 10 and an empty database with Windows8 and Outlook 2010 and give it a whirl. I still use 7 and Ubuntu. I do not let anyone on 8 if I can help it. 8 sucks, unless you have a surface pro tablet.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:12 pm

Tried Dexis 10 briefly, on a Win 7 64 bit machine. Didn't like it. Went back to Dexis 9.
Don't get me wrong. I am very happy with Dexis 9, and very, very happy with Windows 8.
I only posted this in case someone else ran into the same strange behavior. The solution, as I posted, is very simple.
I don't understand why you think 8 sucks. I think it is the best, most stable operating system MS has put out in a long time. And no, I am not using a tablet or touch screen. I do everything from the desktop, so it doesn't feel much different from XP or 7.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

Okay Okay... I am just shooting the breeze.

Does it occur in Dexis 10?

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:01 am

Oh.. one more thing to think about...

Dexis 10 latest has the fix for the eeprom possibly becoming erased in a Gendex\Dexis sensor... due to an alleged (CYA) bug in the Cypress SDK. I do not know if 9 latest has this fix.

Might save you a warranty headache.

Dexis 10 also allows a sensor with twain capabilities to go from tile to tile.
Dexis 10 allows has better support for china cams and color conversion in DirectShow. Still Pin support as well.
Dexis 10, is better. :D

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Justin Shafer wrote:Okay Okay... I am just shooting the breeze.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat. I have the utmost respect for you and greatly appreciate your contribution to this forum.
Does it occur in Dexis 10?
I don't know. I never used Dexis 10 with Windows 8, only used it with Windows 7.
Dexis 10 latest has the fix for the eeprom possibly becoming erased in a Gendex\Dexis sensor... due to an alleged (CYA) bug in the Cypress SDK. I do not know if 9 latest has this fix.
I have no clue what that means.
Dexis 10, is better. :D
I will take your word for it. It probably is. But meanwhile 9 is running just fine for me. No sense fixing what isn't broken.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Hersheydmd wrote:
Justin Shafer wrote:Okay Okay... I am just shooting the breeze.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat. I have the utmost respect for you and greatly appreciate your contribution to this forum.
Thanks! I am just bullheaded!
Hersheydmd wrote:
Justin Shafer wrote:Dexis 10 latest has the fix for the eeprom possibly becoming erased in a Gendex\Dexis sensor... due to an alleged (CYA) bug in the Cypress SDK. I do not know if 9 latest has this fix.
I have no clue what that means.

Imagine you plugin your sensor, and it no longer works with any of the computers... That would be considered a bug, and to fix this bug we are imagining... you have to send in your sensor for repair... Technically.

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Well Dexis 10 is the first attempt to go SQL. Version 8 still filed based. Version 10 has an IPAD application and plays nicer with Windows 8 and I am sure that are planing Macos compatibility. I also tested the USB connectivity via Remote Desktop Services and it works flawlessly. Over all this version is better then 8 so I don't know what's not to like
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC