What happens if you want to change a Sheet?

For users or potential users.
jourdo

What happens if you want to change a Sheet?

Post by jourdo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 pm

I want to make some changes to some of my sheets, and wondered if that will make any changes to the ones I have already used in patient files. The reason I ask is that I had used an image as a basis for a sheet and then decided to change the image. I basically took one of my existing forms and scanned it in as an image and then added boxes, etc on the sheet. When I made the change to the image, I found this changed even the older sheets that were preexisting.... oops.

How are already completed sheets affected by making changes to the template? Is it possible to hide sheets that you no longer want to use?

Thanks!

jsalmon

Re: What happens if you want to change a Sheet?

Post by jsalmon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 am

Images are the only thing that old and new sheets share in common. I'd recommend making a copy of the image on the old sheet and renaming it something unique for the new rendition.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jourdo

Post by jourdo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:39 am

What if I want to drop the image completely? I used them out of convenience, but want to change to a properly formatted sheet without the images. I'm pretty sure I need to make a new sheet all together to avoid damaging the old ones. Is that a correct assumption? If that is the case, what can I do to bury the old sheets? I figures I would rename them "ZZZ something something". There is no "hide" feature... correct?

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 am

jourdo wrote:What if I want to drop the image completely?
What do you mean drop? Are you just talking about removing it from the sheet? That will not affect old forms that patients have filled out. If you're talking about deleting it from your OpenDentImages share then all old and new sheets will not know about the background image at all.
jourdo wrote:...want to change to a properly formatted sheet without the images.
I wouldn't call having a sheet without an image "properly formatted". Having background images is a great thing to have.
jourdo wrote:I'm pretty sure I need to make a new sheet all together to avoid damaging the old ones. Is that a correct assumption?
It doesn't hurt but no that is not the correct assumption. The only thing old sheets (filled out forms by patients) and new sheets (forms waiting to be filled out by patients) have in common is they both point to the same image in your image share UNLESS you make a copy of that image and update your sheet def to point to the copy so that the old sheets have that old image to still reference.
jourdo wrote:...what can I do to bury the old sheets? I figures I would rename them "ZZZ something something". There is no "hide" feature... correct?
You could do a lot of things. The rename zzz is a fine example. You could export your sheet and save it somewhere so that you have a backup in case you ever want to use it again but don't want it to show in Open Dental and then simply delete it from the sheet defs. Any form filled out by patients that used that sheet will still be view-able and unaltered. The only thing you could mess up with old sheets is by manipulating or deleting the image they might be using.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jourdo

Post by jourdo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 am

jsalmon wrote:
jourdo wrote:What if I want to drop the image completely?
What do you mean drop? Are you just talking about removing it from the sheet? That will not affect old forms that patients have filled out. If you're talking about deleting it from your OpenDentImages share then all old and new sheets will not know about the background image at all.
jourdo wrote:...want to change to a properly formatted sheet without the images.
I wouldn't call having a sheet without an image "properly formatted". Having background images is a great thing to have.
jourdo wrote:I'm pretty sure I need to make a new sheet all together to avoid damaging the old ones. Is that a correct assumption?
It doesn't hurt but no that is not the correct assumption. The only thing old sheets (filled out forms by patients) and new sheets (forms waiting to be filled out by patients) have in common is they both point to the same image in your image share UNLESS you make a copy of that image and update your sheet def to point to the copy so that the old sheets have that old image to still reference.
jourdo wrote:...what can I do to bury the old sheets? I figures I would rename them "ZZZ something something". There is no "hide" feature... correct?
You could do a lot of things. The rename zzz is a fine example. You could export your sheet and save it somewhere so that you have a backup in case you ever want to use it again but don't want it to show in Open Dental and then simply delete it from the sheet defs. Any form filled out by patients that used that sheet will still be view-able and unaltered. The only thing you could mess up with old sheets is by manipulating or deleting the image they might be using.
I meant delete or remove. For example, I put a hygiene recare form into a sheet. I just used the preexisting text on the form, and lined up the check boxes in the sheet. No actual text. I see making changes to the image will change all existing sheets now. In this example, I am thinking that I keep the Hygiene Sheet image as is, and just make a brand new one without using that same image. That would work going forward, without screwing up what already exists... correct?

I think I have got this straight in my head now. Thanks!!

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:21 am

As long as you don't delete the old scanned image from the Open Dent Images folder your old sheets should be OK. If you plan to make a new sheet, it can have the old scan or a new one and that won't alter your old sheets.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005