Web version of OD possible?

For users or potential users.
peterskuben

Web version of OD possible?

Post by peterskuben » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Hello guys,

I was just wondering with the announcement that Windows will now run on Chromebooks as a DaaS service, can we do the same for Open Dental?

Here is the article:
http://www.captees.com/chromebooks-can- ... ps-vmware/

It seems to me that OD could be hosted centrally by Open Dental Inc. and we could access it as a web service in a web browser. Much faster than having to recode everything into HTML.

What do you think Jordan?

stjames70

Re: Web version of OD possible?

Post by stjames70 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:06 pm

I have thought about this quite a bit as well. Dentrix Ascend will be coming online soon, and it is fully web based. It incorporates patient recall, eclaims, NEA fast attach integration within the monthly maintenance fee and it does not have a purchase fee like OD. I looked into it, but the more I think, the more jittery do I feel about its web based nature. Although you can save its database to your local computer, I don't think you can operate it without an internet connection. Now, I understand how reliable the internet is supposed to be, and all the guarantees given about the reliability of various services, but I still feel uncomfortable with ceding control of my data to a third party provider, not to mention that this third party has no control over the reliability of my connection to the internet.
A good friend of mine who works for TW Telecom informed me that all internet connections are hackable, and if you read this forum and look at the viruses acquired over open internet connections, I am not too sure how much I would trust my data to be transmitted over an internet connection.
I run my computers in a virtual environment, and I have limited communication of my VMs to the network in our office in order to limit viruses, and I am still afraid that my data may be compromised.

The promise of web based practice management is great. Its security is questionable.

teethdood

Re: Web version of OD possible?

Post by teethdood » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Good luck to Dentrix keeping everything secure. Not only that, they better take out an insurance policy big enough to cover the cost of losing customer data in case their servers burn up and backups don't work. You lose your customer database = you kill your customer. Conservative estimate: One thousand customer databases lost x $500K worth per office = $500M they are liable for. Of course the actual number is going to be much higher.
There was talk of OD web-based and OD hosting databases off-site. I just think the risk is way too high for too little reward. I for one am sticking to near instantaneous database response time of 1ms vs the typical 100-200ms internet latency. The latency alone would drive me nuts.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/