Built in Backup Question

For users or potential users.
gorilla121

Built in Backup Question

Post by gorilla121 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 pm

This question is regarding the built in backup application on open dental. If I press the back up button during the middle of the day when everyone is
using the open dental server what happens? Does it backup 100% without any problems? I'm going to assume that the server will slow down a bit but will it stall or
freeze the workstations while backing up? Is the MySql stopped during back up process?

bpcomp

Re: Built in Backup Question

Post by bpcomp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:32 am

You can not do that backup in the middle of the day while anyone is working. Yes it does stop MySql during the process. If you have any open workstations while attempting the backup, it will give you a warning about which workstations are open. It will also error out or crash and lose data for anything anyone tries to do while the backup is happening. If you only attempt to backup the Data and not the Images then backup is relatively fast and should only take a minute or two. If you attempt to backup with images then the backup may take a long time depending on how many images you have.

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 am

gorilla121: Your question was regarding the built in backup. However, there are options for backups during the day without shutting everything down. This forum has a wealth of information, but here is what I do.

I have a script that runs every half hour to "dump" (copy) the mysql data to another computer. Here is the specific line that you could run manually anytime:
mysqldump --host 10.0.0.3 -B opendental -u root > OD_backup.sql

This worked great yesterday when my server's motherboard died. I restored this sql dump to another computer and was backup in less than 15 minutes. I'm exploring other options now for virtualizing and running multiple mysql servers (also mentioned on the forums here elsewhere).

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:49 am

Hi,
As someone who is not very familiar with sql and linux commands, could you explain in detail how you backuped an sql dump every 30 mins? It would be so helpful and greatly appreciated.

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 am

epic: I'll get you a copy of my script, but the main part was the line already shared. I run it on a Mac, but linux would probably work. It may need some changes for Windows. What OS are you running? What is your over-all backup plan?

Highly recommend Crashplan.com as a more set it and forget it backup (to the Cloud, and other local computer/drive). The sql dumps would still be wise though on top of any backup. Then, you do need to know how to restore when the time comes an the pressure is on.

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:40 am

Also backing up with CrashPlan Pro. Anyone know if there are any Hipaa concerns with its cloud backup? I also use it to back-up to an external hard drive, but that is encrypted with TrueCrypt, so not worried there.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:48 am

Hershey:

According to http://support.code42.com/Administrator ... g/PRO_FAQs:

"Is CrashPlan PRO HIPAA Compliant?
While each implementation must be verified for compliance, CrashPlan PRO can be used in a HIPAA compliant environment."

Seems their enterprise solution mentions it as well: http://www.crashplan.com/enterprise/compliance.html

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:11 pm

Thanks Josh.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429