Crashplan + Open Dental Backup

For users or potential users.
tpatel

Crashplan + Open Dental Backup

Post by tpatel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Our office uses Crashplan Pro to backup Open Dental but we find ourselves having to manually create a backup at the end of the day in order for Crashplan to back up these files.
Any advice on how to do an automated backup feature every hour in OD in order for Crashplan Pro to back all of the OD files on our server?

Hersheydmd

Re: Crashplan + Open Dental Backup

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 am

I also use CrashPlanPro (on my virtual server & on the host*)
I kept the default settings. It's set to back up ALWAYS (i.e. continuously); New version every 15 minutes, etc.
I don't have to stop the MySQL service for it to work.
I just tested it to make sure. I a few changes to a test patient, waited for CrashPlan to backup, restored the MySQL\Data\Opendental folder to the desktop. Renamed it to Opendental_Test. Moved it to the MySQL\Data folder. Opened OD and pointed to the Opendental_test database. Checked that all the changes were there. Everything was perfect. Closed it. Reopened OD back to my original Opendental database.
I only had to shut the MySQL service to allow me to delete the Opendental_Test from the MySQL\Data folder.

*On the virtual server it backs up my entire DATA partition (data from all my programs) to the web. I can restore individual files or folders from it.
On the host it backs up the folder User/Robert, which also contains the virtual server folder and files, to the web as well as to an external hard drive. If need be I could restore my virtual server to another computer.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:11 am

Are you all using CrashPlan's cloud-based backup? If so, are you only backing up the MySQL database? How are you handling images and x-rays?
My experience with cloud-based backups is that they work fine for the data, but the images and x-rays are another story. When you would need to restore those files it would take a really, really long time to download them. Our x-rays alone take up over 150GB of data, so I only back those up by rotating USB drives.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 am

Kevin,
As I mentioned before. I am doing two kinds of backups. I am backing up ALL my data from the [virtual] server to the cloud (CrashPlanPro), including OD, Quickbooks, x-rays, images, scanned documents, letters, etc. (every piece of data, which are all stored in a separate DATA partition). Yes, it would take forever to restore all that data over the internet. However, it is great for restoring individual files or folders every now and then.
At the same time I also use another instance of CrashPlanPro on the host to backup the virtual server container in its entirety, to both the web and to an external hard drive. If I ever needed to restore ALL my data, I would restore it from the external hard drive.
If you are using a physical, rather than virtual server, you can still use CrashPlanPro to backup your data on your physical server to an external hard drive or another computer in the office in addition to backing up to the cloud.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

joshuab

Post by joshuab » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:12 am

I also use CrashPlan (best cloud backup IMO). However, note they don't guarantee database backups:
https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/La ... _Databases

Although likely to work, what if there are changes to the data between the files getting sent to CrashPlan?

Dumping the mysql to a separate folder periodically (I use mysqldump every half hour) would provide a more reliable copy for CrashPlan to capture.

Consider also for any xray database instances running.