New updated program vs older OD database?

For users or potential users.
David Burton

New updated program vs older OD database?

Post by David Burton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Today I was trying to restore a copy of OD from my USB drive when I realized that I was trying to restore an OD database that was backed-up with version 13.1.40.0 of Open Dental. My version of OD on my laptop was 12. etc. So I clicked on "help-update" in Open Dental to update my version of OD because I figured that an older version of OD would not know about a newer version of OD. When I updated OD, it did not give me the choice of version 13.1.40.0 but gave me instead version 13.2.23.0 so I went ahead and upgraded. Once I upgraded I rebooted my laptop, and then went into OD to restore my database from the USB drive. I am getting the following error which is the same error that I was getting with the old program. The program asks me if I want to "Restore from backup created on Monday 12/30/2013, and when I click "OK" the following error occurs:

"Unable to stop MySQL service"

If I go into maintenance and stop the MySQL service it won't work either. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Arna

Re: New updated program vs older OD database?

Post by Arna » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 pm

Try opening Open Dental as an admin.
Right click on the icon, select 'Run as Admin' and see if that helps with the restore. It should.
If not, you can go to your services (right click on My Compuer>Manage>Services and Applications>Services) and highlight the MySQL service and stop. If you get to this point, you will need to perform a manual backup, because the program won't run while the service is stopped.

Instructions for Manual Restore: (From web manual)
Restore your backup to your home computer to make sure it's a good backup. You will have already installed Open Dental on that computer. The version should be the same as your office computer. Verify versions from Help | Update.
• Stop the MySQL service as follows: Right click MyComputer | Manage | Services and Applications | Services, then look for MySQL in the list. Highlight it, and stop the service.
•Rename the old database folder from C:\mysql\data\opendental\ to something else, like C:\mysql\data\opendentalold02142006\.
•Copy the database folder from the backup source, (e.g. D:\opendental\) to the appropriate location on the main hard drive, (e.g. C:\mysql\data\opendental\). Make sure you don't end up with too many layers (e.g. C:\mysql\data\opendental\opendental\).
•(optional) Copy the OpenDentalData folder (with the A-Z folders) to the hard drive (e.g. C:\OpenDentalData\).
•Restart the MySQL service.
•Open the program.

If you have trouble opening the program after restoring, you may need to run the setup program buried within your backup. The location of the setup program is D:\OpenDentImages\Setup.exe. If the installed version is newer than the backup version, then you will need to uninstall Open Dental from your control panel before running the Setup program.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

David Burton

Post by David Burton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Thank you Arna Meyer for your quick reply. I posted the following question on DentalTown as well, and I asked the following question. Shouldn't the newer database know about the older database and be able to convert the data? Or, do both databases have to be EXACTLY the same version in order to work? If you could answer this for me I would appreciate it. That way, I won't have to ask in the future.

Regards,

David Burton

David Burton

Post by David Burton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:34 pm

One other question for the Open Dental Staff. I followed Arna Meyer's suggestion and right mouse clicked on Open Dental and chose "Run As Adminstrator" and then tried to restore the database and it worked fine. Here is my question. Since I am the ONLY user of my laptop and my user name when I log onto my computer has me as the Administrator why didn't it work the first time without choosing the "Run As Administrator" from the right click option?

Just Curious!

David Burton

savvy

Post by savvy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 pm

It's a windows 7 and above thing.
It frustrates me as well.
Cheers!!
Candy is dandy, but sex won't rot your teeth.

Cheers!!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Savvy