New user overwhelmed

For users or potential users.
drrupertrj13

New user overwhelmed

Post by drrupertrj13 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:29 am

Hi,

I purchased a practice 6 months ago that had no PMS. I have since added computers with open dental software. We have been slow to implement because of a lack of manpower, my front desk isn't the best with computers, and we aren't sure where to start.

We have the basic setup done, our insurance fee schedules entered, and about 1800 patients entered into the system along with their insurance info. We haven't actually started using the program for anything yet. I have a second front desk person starting next week who I want to lead the process of getting us to use the program.

Should we just keep entering charts until they are all in? It seems to take too long to enter these. How can we learn to put the program into action? The in-office training is cost prohibitive for me right now. I do have a former office manager that may come in and help with a tutorial.

Thanks

drtech

Re: New user overwhelmed

Post by drtech » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:56 am

I would stop entering charts. Only enter them as you contact the pt...that way is spaces it out.

Do you have computers in the ops?

What you must have entered to make it work properly for you are the appointments. Enter every appt time starting with the day you want to start using the computers. You don't even have to enter every single thing or any past information about the patient. Just start everyone like a new patient to your practice and you will want to keep your paper charts as regular routine for your patients for at least a year to look up past info. Then make sure you can enter new treatment on a pt's chart and attach it to appointments. Then when your pt's arrive, you can complete your treatment, collect $ and reschedule them all on the computer.

Be sure you read the manual and have your staff familiar before you start from here:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/toc.html
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com