Sole Propreitor to S Corp Question

For users or potential users.
fifthcusp

Sole Propreitor to S Corp Question

Post by fifthcusp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:41 pm

I am changing from sole proprietor to S corp.

1. Do I need to change anything in the Open Dental Software when I get my new Tax ID #?

2. What about insurance companies. I guess they have to pay me on the new Tax ID. Can I set a date with them on when I can transition to the new Tax ID. How does this work?

Arna

Re: Sole Propreitor to S Corp Question

Post by Arna » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:08 am

If you have the Practice set up as a provider in the system, you can go to Lists>Providers and change your details.
If you were previously billing as the treating and billing dentist, you can set up a dummy provider in Lists>Providers for the practice. Check the box that says 'Not a Person' and enter the practice name (as you wish to bill it) in the Last Name section. Add your new NPI & Tax IDs in the appropriate fields. Once that is done, go to Setup>Practice and change the default billing dentist. Change the radio button to select a specific provider and use the drop down list to choose the new dummy provider that was created. See: http://www.opendental.com/manual/practice.html

You can't set the date of transition. When you make the changes above in the system, claims will by default send with the new credentials. It's a very simple transition and we'd be happy to help you get that set up and ready to go.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

teethdood

Re: Sole Propreitor to S Corp Question

Post by teethdood » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 am

Simply send out claims with the new Billing Provider and Tax ID. The insurance companies will ask you to fill out form W9 with the new info so they can report the payments to the IRS.
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/