Crown initial or replacement

For users or potential users.
fschiopu

Crown initial or replacement

Post by fschiopu » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:06 am

Hi,

Is there any way to set-up and alert when a crown is treatment planned to ask if there is initial or replacement? this is important for a replacement crown in order to enter the prevoius insertion date.

Arna

Re: Crown initial or replacement

Post by Arna » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:28 pm

The alert will come when you try to create a claim. You will get an error: Unable to send claims until missing info is fixed. That alert will only go away when you enter the prosthesis date in the procedure edit window.
http://www.opendental.com/manual/procedureedit.html see 'Prosthesis Replacement'
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

fschiopu

Post by fschiopu » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:07 am

I know. This is exactly why i asked. It is much easier if the pop-up appears when treatment planning and entering the procedure and asking the patient right away, rather than when sending the claim or preauthorization and the patient might not be around.

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:46 pm

You can set an automation to alert users if a certain procedure is set complete.
Go to Setup>Automation
Add a new Automation
Description can be whatever you want to call it (ie. Crown alert)
Trigger will be Complete Procedure
List the procedure codes you perform in your office and when you want to get the alert (ie D2750,D2740 etc)
No Conditions are needed for this
Action will be Pop Up
Add the Pop Up text (eg: "Mark crown as initial or replacement")

(This is my FAVORITE feature of Open Dental and should be EXACTLY what you are looking for)

Arna Meyer

openwide

Post by openwide » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Funny I find it annoying when i get the prompt "Prosthesis date not entered. Continue anyway" after I treatment every crown

YES, continue anyway. What a pain in the fluffy pink unicorn!!!

Isn't that basically what you are looking for? I wish I could shut it off. Very annoying especially when doing a long tx plan

drtech

Post by drtech » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:42 pm

that sounds like a good thing to add to my plugin...bypass that annoying question...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 pm

This Automation is designed for use for those offices who don't open the Edit Procedure Window. If you DO open that window, you get the message 'Prosthesis date not entered. Continue anyway'.
You can TP crowns without using that window if you highlight the tooth first, then enter the code. Might save you a little heartache.

Arna Meyer

openwide

Post by openwide » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Yes I know but if you have to edit price, tooth number or crown type then it pops up. Should be an option to shut it off. Actually it should default to off with the option to turn it on.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:14 pm

openwide wrote:Yes I know but if you have to edit price, tooth number or crown type then it pops up. Should be an option to shut it off. Actually it should default to off with the option to turn it on.
I'd recommend helping request #2955 get attention.
http://opendental.com/manual/featurerequests.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:22 pm

openwide wrote:Funny I find it annoying when i get the prompt "Prosthesis date not entered. Continue anyway" after I treatment every crown

YES, continue anyway. What a pain in the fluffy pink unicorn!!!

Isn't that basically what you are looking for? I wish I could shut it off. Very annoying especially when doing a long tx plan
What you are supposed to do when you see this message is to either set it as Initial or enter a date! You're not supposed to ignore it and continue. Why would you not want to enter that info?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

openwide

Post by openwide » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:38 am

Its unnecessary most of the time. Not something I need or want to chart. Certainly not enough for the pop up.

Maybe it should just default to initial and then you can change to replacement if necessary.

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Maybe it should just default to initial and then you can change to replacement if necessary.
That is a great idea.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

That is far too dangerous. Claims will get sent with the wrong information. It was a very deliberate decision to default to 'No'. The software cannot be responsible for determining this information, it must come from the provider.

Arna Meyer

openwide

Post by openwide » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Then the pop up should be when dealing or sending the claim

ForrestGumpDDS

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:28 pm

Well, it's just like a medicine taste. It annoys you, you complain about it's not being tasty BUT you know it's there for a reason.
So I'm with Jordan here. I give it a face when it pops up and next second say "Thanks, OD".
My only problem with the field is that it requires the day and the month (which are 2 extra fields to edit). I feel lucky if my patients remember the year of the crown insert correctly, without going to so fine details like a day of the month. I guess it still has to be there for the situation when the crown was done "almost" 3 years ago and the insurance replacement clause is 3 years. All my charted existing crowns were made 01/01/XXXX for that reason. :lol: