What to do with junior...

For users or potential users.
JLM

What to do with junior...

Post by JLM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:24 pm

What is the best way to handle juniors and seniors and II's and III's ?
And why isn't there a field for that so they don't mess up sort orders (Alan Smith Jr comes after Zacharia Smith) or names (ala Mr John Jr Smith)
Should we tack it onto the first name or the last name? Which kludge creates less of a vacuum, so to speak? ;)

JLM

jsalmon

Re: What to do with junior...

Post by jsalmon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm

JLM wrote:What is the best way to handle juniors and seniors and II's and III's ?
I think it can be situational. If it's any help, my family handles it in the first name position. E.g. Dwayne Jr. However, for academic suffixes and such, I would put it at the end of the Last Name E.g. "Salmon, DMD" or "Salmon, III".
JLM wrote:And why isn't there a field for that so they don't mess up sort orders (Alan Smith Jr comes after Zacharia Smith) or names (ala Mr John Jr Smith)
I think it's been sufficient to tack it into the name fields. I don't even see a feature request for this so I guess it's not too annoying for users.
On a different note, what sort order are you referring to that is messed up? More specifically, what grid in the program is the order putting Z before A. (Note that Family Members list is ordered by guarantor then by birth dates)
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

JLM

Post by JLM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:04 pm

It was always a nuisance for me in dentrix and still is I guess. We all have our pet peeves.

If you have a common name like David Smith, and then add jr to the last name field, when you search for a patient, David Smith Jr will be after Zachary Smith and probably will not show on the patient search page at all until you enter the first name. But say there are six David Smiths and I forget the Jr part and I bring up the wrong David Smith and ... this is how accidents happen. We were doing it this way in dentrix and it did cause problems for us.

Putting it in the first name field avoids this problem but then the patient's name is printed as David Jr Smith which isn't particularly elegant given how easy it is to program around this issue (or would have been ten versions ago anyway...)

I was curious what the best alternative with the least gotchas was.

JLM

dqadri

Post by dqadri » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:55 pm

I'm running into this same issue now, and I wanted to see what other people are currently doing with this with their OD.

I'm in the process of converting my VixWin Platinum database from a standalone mode to bridge mode, and as I'm checking my mapping, I'm finding this same issue... I have many people who are "Jr" "Sr", several "III" and even one "IV".

My thought is that within Open Dental, to keep the last name consistent and then add the suffix into the first name field. This would help the sorting order when viewing lists of patients. The only drawback would be when printed, it would look odd like "Robert Jr Smith".

What is everyone else doing currently?
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:37 am

We are using the preferred name field for this. Example: "Eddy Jr" or "John III" and we have that field in our appointment view and other places.
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

dqadri

Post by dqadri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:18 am

This is slightly off topic, but what does everyone do with the "senior" person in a junior/senior combo. Do they leave it without a suffix, or add "Sr" to their name?

-edit-

I just found this: http://schmidtgen.com/wordpress/2013/10 ... -cartoons/ for the serious genealogist. Why do we make everything so confusing??!
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067