New for Open Dental

For users or potential users.
Bratsk1969

New for Open Dental

Post by Bratsk1969 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm

I will be very much appreciate if same body can help me with my problems.
We are in the process to open new dental office. And now is time for software. I called few companies and price is just unbelievable. After discovery friend of mine recommended to look up Open Dental. It is look very similar to all programs, opinions is pretty much the same, but I still have open question about imagine software. If I purchased sensor , for example from dexis and sensor is coming with rotation dick and software program this will be enough or I have purchased imaging software from dexis separately as well. I am not technical person that why I kind off confuse. I don't want to pay 1000's of dollars. I try to understand what I am really need.
Someone can recommend any Brenda off sensors for me?
Thank you very much.
Larisa

Manny Ramirez

Re: New for Open Dental

Post by Manny Ramirez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Larisa, Open Dental is quite capable of managing your entire office an then some. It is a complete practice management system that has been created from scratch for dentists of all kind (well almost) . It's feature rich and it continues to improve with every version. I can confidently tell you that you will get a bang for the buck ( Larisa, no worries I don't get paid to tell you this)

That being said, what's good about OD is that is not vendor specific, hence the name OPEN , you are free to chose any vendor and bridge it to Open Dental. Although, OD is not made to manipulate your images. It will integrate with your digital radiography software. Typically, when you purchase your sensor. It will sell you the imaging software. Be careful when the salesman tries to push their management system though, many salesmen will lure you into thinking that if you don't buy their management system, the sensor won't work but that is not true. Others will tell you that their management software is free but they don't tell you that training will cost you thousands of dollars and ongoing support is more expensive so in the end you will pay for it.

I worked with hundred of dentists in the area (including my wife who is one) and they like Dexis (my wife too uses Dexis) because is easy to use. Dexis is more expensive and you pay for every module and ongoing support is a bit pricey. Dexis claim that you only need one size instead of three sizes to cover all your scenarios. If I were you, I would have a couple of vendors come in and have them give you a presentation, that way you will get a feel for the software and then you can make your decision. Once you decide, OD will have the integration ready for you.

PD: A lot of Pedo offices like PSP X-ray film Digitizer because it is more flexible and easy in kids mouths. PSP digitizers are an indirect digital system because you still have to develop your PSP plate inside the digitizer. ScanX and Dentoptic are the most popular ones. Another side benefit is that you can use a traditional Panoramic machine and purchase the PSP plate for your Panoramic X-ray; it is more economical but requires the extra step of developing your Xray. The plates also have to be change every so often.

If wanna streamline the process of your practice though, digital is the way to go. Of course if you can afford it too

See that was easy :D.
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

Bratsk1969

Re: New for Open Dental

Post by Bratsk1969 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi Manny,
Thank you very much.
I feel more comfortable right now. This excels what is happened with me. One salesperson told me I have to buy imaging software, other way sensor will not be working. Another one ofer for me cheep sensors for very expensive price+imaging software for free. I kind off assume it is something wrong, because I was learned from previous e experience: nothing is free in this life.
Any way I appreciated a lot for your explanation. It is clear my mind.
Thank you!!!!!!!
Larisa.