DirectX 11 & Video Card

For users or potential users.
KevinRossen

DirectX 11 & Video Card

Post by KevinRossen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have video cards in all of our ops that support DirectX 11. I've attempted to upgrade the driver and the DirectX software, but I'm still not able to use the graphical perio chart. The posts that I've read seem to be consistent in that users that are having problems with the graphical chart seem to have DirectX 11. I'm likely wrong, but that's a pattern I'm seeing.

The particular card that I'm using is this one. Does anyone have any suggestions other than the instructions posted in the help area?

Kevin
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

Arna

Re: DirectX 11 & Video Card

Post by Arna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:09 pm

Kevin,
Did you try all the following steps?

Troubleshooting sequence if DirectX is not working properly
1. Install the latest DirectX runtime. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 6652cd92a3
2. Install all express/critical Windows Updates.
3. Update the graphics card driver using one of the following:
a. Try to locate the driver from the computer manufacturer's website.
b. Try to locate the driver from the graphics card manufacturer's website.
c. Try to use Windows Update to update the graphics card driver.
4. Install the latest DirectX SDK (only do this if DirectX is still not working).http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=6812

I often find step 2 is the culprit.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:23 pm

Yes, I have gone through the steps. I'll try it another time, just curious if maybe DirectX 11 is more finicky than 9.
Kevin Rossen

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:14 pm

What happens when you launch the perio chart? Are you getting an error message?
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:03 pm

I've seen this issue quite a few times and I end up using OpenGL and use Hardware acceleration. Select one of the option and the 3D chart works like a charm. I suspect that if you don't have enough dedicated Video RAM you will see this issue
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 am

FYI, I'm still double-checking that I'm having the problem on different computers following the above steps. So far I'm not able to get DirectX to work, which seems to only affect the perio chart. Not a huge deal, but we'd like to use that view as a patient education tool for our perio patients.
Kevin Rossen

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 am

Ok, I've double checked on a second computer going through all the steps and I'm still not able to get the DirectX chart to work. I've tried updating the graphics driver, the DirectX end user softer, the SDK, etc, all in the suggested order. I'm still not able to get that graphics option to work, which only really affects the graphical perio chart. I was able to get it work on a computer that's running XP and DirectX 9, but not able to get it to work on another XP computer. I've run DXDIAG and it's reporting no problems, so I'm kind of stuck. Here are some screenshots that might be helpful.

Error message within Open Dental:

DirectX Diagnostic Tool System Info:

DirectX Diagnostic Tool Display Info:

Kind of stuck as to what to try next, so any ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by KevinRossen on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kevin Rossen

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am

Your screenshots require us to log in to our Evernote account (which I don't have). Could you please share the screen shots a different way?

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:54 pm

bpcomp wrote:Your screenshots require us to log in to our Evernote account (which I don't have). Could you please share the screen shots a different way?
Sorry about that. I've fixed the images to where they should be viewable now.
Kevin Rossen

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:03 pm

"Access denied."

No dice yet.

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:19 pm

bpcomp wrote:"Access denied."

No dice yet.
Ugh. Stupid Evernote permissions. I've moved the photos to my webhost, so they SHOULD be viewable now.
Kevin Rossen

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Ok, I can see the screen shots now. This is probably a really long shot but I wonder if 32bit DirectX 11 vs 64bit would make any difference. Another crazy idea is to try changing the resolution of your screen to 1024x768 or 1280x1024 and see if that makes any changes. Last idea is to try a different video card. Get a different brand or model.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

KevinRossen wrote:Yes, I have gone through the steps. I'll try it another time, just curious if maybe DirectX 11 is more finicky than 9.
Last I checked, ATI drivers were up into version 12 drivers. Your driver version is 9.12.0.0. I bet there is a more recent driver. My computer is on v12.104.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

Catalyst may be at version 12 but the driver number maybe different when you really dig down. It's thrown me off before so I thought I'd throw it out there.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:01 pm

bpcomp wrote:Catalyst may be at version 12 but the driver number maybe different when you really dig down. It's thrown me off before so I thought I'd throw it out there.
That's a good point. Don't let all the versions AMD / ATI throws at you confuse you. Catalyst (currently at 13.4) is not the same as the device drivers (currently at 12.104).
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Well, we are going live on Monday with Open Dental, so I'm finishing up getting everything set the way we want. Just an update that I got one of OP computers working with DirectX, but I don't remember what exactly made that happen. I know I'll figure it out, but for the life of me I don't know what is allowing one computer to use DirectX chart, but the others with identical hardware/software won't. Fun times.
Kevin Rossen

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:35 am

Sorry if this is annoying but I found this to be an obvious problem some people had in the past. Did you actually highlight and select one of the options in the numbered list of Available Graphics Formats at the bottom of the Graphics window? I found that working your way down that list is often the best way to find a 'match' that actually works.

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am

Jay wrote:Sorry if this is annoying but I found this to be an obvious problem some people had in the past. Did you actually highlight and select one of the options in the numbered list of Available Graphics Formats at the bottom of the Graphics window? I found that working your way down that list is often the best way to find a 'match' that actually works.
Wow, that did it. That's almost as bad as "is the computer plugged in?" I honestly didn't try clicking on any of the options. I guess I thought the upper options were the only things I had to select.

Thanks for making it a simple fix!!!
Kevin Rossen

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:45 pm

Great. Happy to help!