Current Versions

For users or potential users.
V Suite

Current Versions

Post by V Suite » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Might it be okay to name the new 'previous versions' page 'current versions' since it apparently reports only the latest production and beta versions.

Then when a beta version becomes production, all of the information for the old production version can be moved to the previous 'previous versions' page.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 pm

It's in flux. You'll see how it works in a few days.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Greetings. It seems like a good idea to move 5.3 over to the previous versions page now (since 5.4 is current production version) and rename the new page Current Versions.

By the way, why is that page on a different server please?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:53 pm

i think because the bug tracker system is it's own thing
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

V Suite

Post by V Suite » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Hmmm, I thought it was going to be something new compared to the original page. But it seems to be operating the exact same way, except that it only includes from ver 5.3.

So that all the data reported can easily also be reported on the original previous versions page, as well as the new page.

Anyway, if it is a new bug tracker system, shouldn't the original "Previous Versions" page say, "This page is no longer used. Starting with Version 5.3, all the bug fixes are reported on the Bug Tracker page:"

And shouldn't the new page be titled, "Bug Tracker"?

By the way, one error on the new page: "For versions before Version 5.4-5.3, please see the old page:"

The BugTracker is reachable by truncating the new 'Previous Versions' address, so can't the list of changes still appear on the old page, or even using Previous Versions and Current Versions pages separately, and can't there be a direct link to the BugTracker? unless it is not yet open for external traffic.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:49 pm

I don't think you understand. The "bug tracker" is tables and rows in a database running on our server. I use a tool that I custom built to enter my bugs and changes. I don't use the interface that you see on the bug tracker page. So understand that I now have a very efficient way to enter the changes for each version and that the data goes into a database rather than into a text document. OK, now the new page that you see covers version 5.3 onward because that's the version where we started putting things in the database. That page is autogenerated with no human interaction ever. We made it look like the old one because that's the most efficient approach. But it's a very different page as far as we are concerned.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com