Progress Note Signature

For users or potential users.
drjorgel1

Progress Note Signature

Post by drjorgel1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:17 am

CAN YOU SET OD TO HAVE A SIGNATURE OF A PROVIDER AS DEFAULT , SO WE DON'T HAVE TO SIGN EVERY PROCEDURE?

Hersheydmd

Re: PROGRESS NOTE SIGNATURE

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:06 pm

That would defeat the purpose of the signature.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

drjorgel1

Post by drjorgel1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:03 am

That will be true for practices with different providers, hygienist . My case is a solo practice with no hygienist, so that said i am the only one with signature in progress notes.

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am

I don't think it would be legal to have the signature appear automatically. The purpose of the signature is to certify that you agree with what the progress note says after having read it and edited it.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Progress Note Signature

Post by jordansparks » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:13 am

I practiced for 10 years and never signed a single procedure. Are you trying to follow a state law that we didn't have to deal with in Oregon?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:34 pm

jordansparks wrote:I practiced for 10 years and never signed a single procedure. Are you trying to follow a state law that we didn't have to deal with in Oregon?
Every practice management or risk management seminar I've been to here in NY says that you need to sign your electronic notes. In the old days of writing your notes by hand it didn't matter because your handwriting was identifiable.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Hersheydmd wrote:
jordansparks wrote:I practiced for 10 years and never signed a single procedure. Are you trying to follow a state law that we didn't have to deal with in Oregon?
Every practice management or risk management seminar I've been to here in NY says that you need to sign your electronic notes. In the old days of writing your notes by hand it didn't matter because your handwriting was identifiable.
Rob - pardon a little thread drift here. I have heard the same and yet I remember experts telling us we would need locked cabinets to comply with HIPAA, we would kill the pulp by acid etching, and that there was a new smart amalgamator that we all needed to purchase (that was Gordo himself).

Over the years, I have begun to really wonder about the 'experts' in our field. Many are either paid to promote certain products or have their own interests at heart. Plus, if you tell a group of doctors that they don't have to do anything special or that air-drying the bonding agent for an extra twenty seconds doesn't change a darn thing at the five year mark, well that sort of eliminates the need for your expertise.

From the risk mgmt seminars I have been to - if there is any evidence of tampering you are dead meat. You are better off to have no progress notes than tampered ones. Ultimately, the outcome of a court case will depend heavily on tort laws in a state, the egregiousness (is that a word?) of the tort and the willingness of the parties to settle.

That being said, we have the pads and we sign 'em.

Ok - rant off -had to vent.

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 am

What I see this as is 'Weenie World'.

Dentists are weenies always worried about the smallest nonsense. Air dry, don't extract the day before a holiday, don't do this or don't do that because.
Bottom line is ...If they want to getchya, they will getchya.
Doesn't matter, signed or unsigned.

Personally we don't sign anything except the pts health history or a OD generated Rx.

drtmz