tracking model box numbers

For users or potential users.
sam-I-am

tracking model box numbers

Post by sam-I-am » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 am

We number study model boxes separately. I'd like to use the chart number field to keep track of these numbers, but OD by default seems to fill the chart number field with the patient number field. Any easy way around this?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question: won't be the first or last time I ask one!

jsalmon

Re: tracking model box numbers

Post by jsalmon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:59 am

If your chart numbers have values in them then you are most likely using the chart number for a program link. I would recommend using a custom patient field to hold the desired values.
http://opendental.com/manual/custompatientfields.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Thanks Much for your help - Sam

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 am

I believe I also had some confusion between chart 'number' and chart 'ID'.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:11 am

I consider ID and number to be interchangeable. I'm curious on where this chart ID you are referring to is located within Open Dental. I'm assuming that was a user defined field somewhere in the program that you added. If not, let me know where it is in the program and I'll have the wording changed because chart ID is far too close to chart number and it should be renamed.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:44 am

The 'chartID' is a 'user defined' field, shows when looking at "Family". However, I don't believe I added it ( since I didn't even know how to do this until now!) but was in there when the program was first install, along with "MedicaidID"

StevenB

Post by StevenB » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:37 pm

We just made a custom field under Patient Information for dx models - we don't number but date them - to me that's more useful so I can see how relevant the models may be. We store them by date too. Easier to toss the oldest ones when space is needed.

We also needed a field for our "Whitening Rewards" program, so we could easily identify patients on it. We used the Billing Type field and added a dropdown (it was suggested by OD tech - kudos there - I also asked about the chart number field because we don't use it). No conflict with the billing field, because if it became a bad account, no whitening reward needed.

I also use the ABCO field (I believe it's for financial rating) to indicate a quick view of the patient's insurance coverage status - W for write off, I for In Network, O out of network, N for no real coverage or minimal. May not be needed for others, but I like to sometimes see this.

Of course, not sure how beneficial this all is as we've only been live 2 weeks...

Steven