Scanning med histories

For users or potential users.
Xstew

Scanning med histories

Post by Xstew » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am

We are going to start scanning med histories, referral letters, etc. into images. What is the best format between JPEG and PDF for open dental scanned images?

Hersheydmd

Re: Scanning med histories

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:12 pm

PDF files are usually smaller and take up less room on your hard drive than jpegs.
I use a third party software (Paperport) to scan and then import it into the Image module. Yes, it is an extra step but the compression is much better and my file sizes are about one-third to one-half compared to scanning directly into OpenDental.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:44 pm

what scanner are you using? some scanners scan directly to pdf no need for paperport?

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:37 am

So what is a good file size to shoot for after compression? And do you see any issues not having a thumbnail on the PDF in the chart module vs having the thumbnail on the JPEG?

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm

enamelrod wrote:what scanner are you using? some scanners scan directly to pdf no need for paperport?
I am using a Brother multipurpose all-in-one. Prior to this I used a Canon multipurpose all-in-one. And prior to that I used a Xerox Documate. It doesn't matter. It is the software that determines the compression. I've used Paperport with all of them. It's an inexpensive program and excellent document manager. Been using it for years. I usually upgrade every second or third new release.
So what is a good file size to shoot for after compression? And do you see any issues not having a thumbnail on the PDF in the chart module vs having the thumbnail on the JPEG?
I just scanned a two page medical history with Paperport & with OpenDental. Set both for B&W & 200 dpi.
Scanning directly into OpenDental created a 119KB pdf.
Scanning with Paperport and then importing into OD created a 57KB pdf.
It is an extra step but I prefer it this way.
I have no issue with not seeing the thumbnail in the chart module. I know where they are and open the image module when I need to.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:39 pm

the Epson WorkForce Pro GT-S50 is what im using and it scans to pdf and directly into Open dental

Epal

Post by Epal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm

I used both Epson gt500 vs. fujitsu s1500 and fujitsu ix500.
I returned gt500. Integration is ok but the scanned file is a lot bigger than fujitsu and the clarity seems better on fujitsu as well. Yes slightly more steps with fujitsu but I would recommend fujitsu scanner over the epson scanners. Currently I have 3 fujitsu scanners in my office, and I am now looking at tablets to get rid of the scanners.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:17 am

Im still scratching my head on why people are so hung up on a few kilobytes of file size. HD are so cheap now..you can double your hd space for 20 bucks and not even be concerned about that so called file size. Can someone please tell me why you are so hung up on file size? once you back up to the cloud or wherever you choose its all just incremental backups. Maybe Im missing something but if you can notice a difference of 60 kbytes something else is going on with your set up.

and tablets may minimize your scanning but there is always referral letters, correspondence letters and EOBs

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am

enamelrod wrote:Im still scratching my head on why people are so hung up on a few kilobytes of file size. HD are so cheap now..you can double your hd space for 20 bucks and not even be concerned about that so called file size. Can someone please tell me why you are so hung up on file size? once you back up to the cloud or wherever you choose its all just incremental backups. Maybe Im missing something but if you can notice a difference of 60 kbytes something else is going on with your set up.

and tablets may minimize your scanning but there is always referral letters, correspondence letters and EOBs
I wouldn't be concerned over a few kilobytes but double the size on every scan...? That just seems like a waste of space, even if it is cheap. It also significantly impacts how long it takes to back up to an external hard drive or NAS. I prefer to keep my machines lean & clean.
Last edited by Hersheydmd on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Xstew

Post by Xstew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried the twain of the Epson s50 and did not like the usability with OD. Took it back and purchased the scansnap. Using the scansnap to scan to a desktop file and then using the import function is the way to go for me. Very fast.

doctordoom

Post by doctordoom » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:11 pm

i vote for the epson gt-s50. Scans directly into OD. No need to scan to desktop, no need to import, and no need to delete a bunch of pdf files from desktop.

gt-s50 you just go into the image module, scan, and you done.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:56 pm

xstew hat do you mean usability? i have both scanners and the only difference is scansnap requires one extra step?