Using OD in European Union

For users or potential users.
Bogdan

Using OD in European Union

Post by Bogdan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi

I am wondering if OD is already used by someone in EU ? Specifically, I would like to use OD in Romania. Are there any legal constraints as most of OD users seem to be from Canada or US ? I am software developer, so I don't know nothing about the dental practice in EU, but I have been told that there are some differences between European and US/Canada practice. Are in any way these issues solved ?

How about adapting OD for country locals (Romania) ? Are these taken from OS settings or could be setup from OD ? I would rather prefer to setup all these from OD.

thanks
Bogdan Cristea

Manny Ramirez

Re: Using OD in European Union

Post by Manny Ramirez » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm

If you are a developer you should understand the freedom and limitation of Open Source software :shock:
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

jsalmon

Re: Using OD in European Union

Post by jsalmon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:08 am

Open Dental is used by users all over the world. You're more than welcome to use OD in Romania and there are no legal constraints that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are plenty of differences between European and other practices in any other country in the world. Especially in the eyes of claims and dental codes / fees. Until our company spans the globe and puts call centers geared towards foreign countries, we can only give minimal support. Which we give at discounted prices. However, there are developers such as yourself that come into the picture and make Open Dental work for their fellow countrymen. Like Manny Ramirez said, we're open source so feel free to enhance Open Dental to handle whatever limitations Romania might face. My suggestion first and foremost would be to start getting familiar with our translations. Romanian is a language you would have to completely translate yourself from scratch and I'm sure your customers would appreciate that the most.
http://opendental.com/manual/languages.html

Looking at translations in the code will make even more sense to you. Once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't be too hard to get a majority of the program translated.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com