Changing description of procedure codes

For users or potential users.
sam-I-am

Changing description of procedure codes

Post by sam-I-am » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:36 am

I understand why you can't delete a procedure code. However, I would like to be able to change the description of an ADA code as it presents on a patient's bill. In particular, I would like to change the description of the ADA code for fluoride varnish so it doesn't mention anything about 'moderate to severe caries risk'.

We've switched to 100% varnish instead of gel treatments, for the same fee, because we feel its more effective, but parents question the need for the treatment when they see the description on their bill. Any ideas?

Sam Barr

jsalmon

Re: Changing description of procedure codes

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 am

You can change the descriptions of customs procedure codes but not ones copyrighted by the ADA.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 am

Ah, too bad. Have to take it up w/ the ADA then. Thanks

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:47 am

That or create a custom one and start using it instead. For codes that are heavily used this is not really a viable solution.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 am

Jason is correct. Create a new code.
If you are using D1206 for fluoride varnish create a new code D1206a and change the description by knocking off the reference to 'moderate to severe caries risk'. Then put the old D1206 in the Obsolete category and stop using it.
The trailing letter ("a") will not appear when you create an insurance claim. You can set codes to show or not show in the Account module.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 am

Thanks to both of you. Its still worth giving the ADA feedback, though, to try to influence the descriptor in the next cycle of code revisions (not for a year and a half, now). Would hate to have the insurance companies use the current descriptor to deny coverage for varnish in a child who had not yet demonstrated 'moderate to severe' caries risk.
Sam Barr