Question on Restoring Open Dental to Home Comp & Backup SW

For users or potential users.
fifthcusp

Question on Restoring Open Dental to Home Comp & Backup SW

Post by fifthcusp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:33 pm

1. I have a question on restoring open dental to the home computer to make sure the backup is working. The opendental website says that the version at home should be the same as in the office to copy the opendentalfiles and check if the restore is ok. Where do I download the same version as the one in the practice. My server in the practice runs 12.4.54 and the only one I can download from the website at home is the trial version (12.4.41). Am I missing something.

2. Currently my IT guy is using a backup software Retrospect 7.7 to backup all the relevant files on my server (opendental & XDR) to a external hard drive and tape drive. Is it ok to not use the built in opendental backup. Wondering whether I should change the setup I currently have.

jsalmon

Re: Question on Restoring Open Dental to Home Comp & Backup

Post by jsalmon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:40 pm

1. There is a Setup.exe in your AtoZImages folder. Run that on the computer at home.

2. External backups (3rd party programs) are fine and often encouraged. We just give another option of backing up because you can never have too many backups!
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

fifthcusp

Post by fifthcusp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks I did that and it installed, but is saying it cannot connect to any of the MySQL hosts...

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm

You also have to install MySQL and set it up as a new server in the installer. I'm not sure , but i think you can also install the trial version and then when you restore from the backup it will update Open Dental to the version on your backup.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

fifthcusp

Post by fifthcusp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 pm

1. Thanks that worked. I downloaded the trial version to set up the MySQL databases. Then copied the files in msql/data/opendental and opendental images into the relevant folders on C:\ from my thumbdrive as in the manual and then had to uninstall the trial version and run the setup of the version I had on my server and I now have a restored copy on my home desktop.