Automate OD backups via VPN to home NAS

For users or potential users.
epicurean

Automate OD backups via VPN to home NAS

Post by epicurean » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:26 am

I am trying to see if the OD backups can be automated to be sent at a certain time every day (via VPN) to my NAS at home

Can anyone give me any pointers or a headstart?

much obliged.

thanks

enamelrod

Re: Automate OD backups via VPN to home NAS

Post by enamelrod » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm

kind of need more info on that...is this strictly a back up? if so there are many ways to do it. If you are using it at home and want it to "mirror the office thats different

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:37 am

thank you for replying.
Yes, its only for backups. I do not mean to synchronise database or anything like that.

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 am

crashplan probably will work well for you its a paid service but will get you cloud and your home pc back up that your looking for

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:09 am

I wouldn't use this as a long term solution. You maybe better off using an SFTP server to transfer or upload files. You can try Filezilla FTP server for this purpose. In none technical terms, a VPN connection adds overhead to your data transmission because it has to encrypt the connection as well as create and maintain a tunnel throughout the session and then send the information - and depending on which backup strategies you are planing to use - it could take a long time. Also, if you have digital x-ray and images -depending on how much data you have - it may take days to backup them up. You should also take into consideration the Internet speed at your office and the speed at your house. If you are using a typical ADSL connection. The upload is not that great.
Enamelrod is right. Crashplan.com is probably your best bet. If you are looking for cheap storage, Amazon Glacier is the best deal in town.
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

epicurean

Post by epicurean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:22 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

How about I use netdrive to map my NAS folders , and then automate the backup to it?

cheers

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:01 pm

possible but you better have a great pipe to send all that data. it sounds like it would work and it sounds like you are trying not to have to pay for anything...let us know how it goes...