ScanX Advice Needed

For users or potential users.
Mitch

ScanX Advice Needed

Post by Mitch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 am

I plan to buy ScanX for Pans and Intraoral films. Was wondering which imaging software works well with it. I plan to buy sensors in about a year or so, also, for intraorals. The Rep from Air Techniques recommends Visx

Also, how is the quality of the Pans?

Thanks a lot

Mitch Klein DDS

Jorgebon

Re: ScanX Advice Needed

Post by Jorgebon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:19 am

I have ScanX with Visix and I like it. Visix is a smaller version of TigerView software. I think the better option is to buy TigerView (the complete software) because it can run many brands of intraoral sensors that you might decide to buy later on. Other software options are Apteryx and XDR. I've seen all of them but I found Visix/Tigerview to be very easy to learn and they produce the best images from ScanX in my opinion. If you go on Dentaltown you'll find that many dentists recommend Apteryx. I had a trial version and I don't like it. I recommend you get some trial versions or have the rep show you the software before you decide what to do.
One more thing: The integration that Visix/TigerView has with Open Dental is excellent. It's a bit tricky to setup because Windows 7 added the program files (X86) folder in C: so you have to change the settings in Open Dental. When we set it up in our office the rep called Visix/Tigerview support and they set everyting up remotely.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

Mitch

Post by Mitch » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks Jorge. I guess I can always upgrade to Tigerview in the future if I am not happy with Visx..

JLM

Post by JLM » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 am

Just some notes from someone who has been digital since before the turn of the century....

I currently use Denoptix for intraorals, a Sirona digital pan and have Schick sensors dangling unused on the wall. If the office burnt down and I had to do it all over again I would get what I have now - PSP for bw's and pa's and digital pan.
- Sensors are too small and too uncomfortable. Miss a lot of information on BWs and have a lot of retakes on PA's.
- PSP panos (at least the denoptix ones) are way inferior to digital pans.
- PSP intraorals aren't quite as good as the schick but have way more information and are way more comfortable. Even for endo the turnaround time is too short to leave the room and do something else except a quick hyg check.

If you are frugal and adventureous, you can get a denoptix scanner for $3000 on ebay, find a slow used computer and scsi card and save a ton of money.

Jim Margarit

ps and never, ever buy gendex xrays. Every single intraoral and pano machine I bought ten years ago is in the scrap heap.

B.Thomas

Post by B.Thomas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 pm

JLM wrote:Just some notes from someone who has been digital since before the turn of the century....

I currently use Denoptix for intraorals, a Sirona digital pan and have Schick sensors dangling unused on the wall. If the office burnt down and I had to do it all over again I would get what .

For the Denoptix, which software do you use? Gendex sells a product for about $1,000 that is called GxTwain. I am curious if that allows us to scan x-rays directly into OpenDental Images, thus eliminating the dependency on a second software program.

JLM

Post by JLM » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 pm

I am using Vixwin platinum in standalone mode. Have been for 10+ years. If I understand other posts correctly, trying to link it to OD at this point would be a nightmare. Plus I am still in the test conversion phase of OD. Vixwin is something I'll tackle later.

Jim

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm

All hopes are not completely lost. You may be able to use VixWinBase41 bridge. Here is the link my friend. Good luck :D
http://www.opendental.com/manual/bridge ... ase41.html
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC