Practical use of Task Lists

For users or potential users.
dwnelson

Practical use of Task Lists

Post by dwnelson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:55 pm

I have dabbled in using the Task Lists, but get confused often enough that I end up writing down my to-do lists on paper. I have read the online manual, http://www.opendental.com/manual/taskList.html, and find it concise but lacking a good, big-picture workflow. This seems to be enough to prevent me from using it!

Does anyone have a good workflow for the Task Lists? It seems like a lot of work to figure out the best way of using it.

I would like it to be person-specific (front desk, doctor, etc.), stored in Open Dental, backed up with all of my other data, patient-specific when needed (e.g. submit exam to insurance), and simple enough to easily use.

bpcomp

Re: Practical use of Task Lists

Post by bpcomp » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 pm

The work flow in our office for the tasklist is to think of post-it notes. You can put a post-it on your own desk for something you need to remember to do but not at this moment. If you want to leave a note for someone else about a phone call or reminder to do something you send the task to them. Try not to think of the task list as part of the patient record (which is what the comm log is for) but more of an internal note that is harder to lose. Things to keep in mind is that any user can look at the tasks of any other user so nothing confidential should be put in them, just like anybody can read a note that is sitting on your desk. I use the task list fairly extensively to remind myself about things I need to do. Probably not the "best" use of the tasklist but it sure beats putting a note on the Dr's desk about forgetting to clock in and him never seeing that note because it got lost or buried.