OpenDental disaster preparation question

For users or potential users.
delphiman

OpenDental disaster preparation question

Post by delphiman » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 am

Hi all,

Right now, I have two identical blade servers (DELL) and I called them Dental 1 and Dental2

On Dental 1, I am running OpenDental and it has been running good with all workstations.

as of now, then only backup method I am running is CrashPlan Pro to backup OpenDental but this method still take long time to restore back in business. So I am thinking of setting Dental 2 server so that if server Dental 1 goes down (Could be hardware or software issues) then all workstations can point to Dental 2 server instantly and running.

Can you give me some idea how to do this method?

thanks

murmsk

Re: OpenDental disaster preparation question

Post by murmsk » Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 am

turn off mysql on server 2

do a simple file copy from server 1 to server 2, I use Karens replicator to do automatic backups.

Once a week I turn on mysql on server 2 and make sure the database is up to date by running OD.

steve
steve

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm

steve how often are you running karen replicator for those back ups...and you run it on the server or the back up machine

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 pm

data get backed up noon and night everyday. Images every nite

I have a separate folder for each day of the week and a folder for noon. So at ant one time I have 6 sets of data. ie monday nite gets copied to the monday folder, tuesday to the tuesday folder.......

The only limitation of Karens is that it wont run in the background . So I have it always running on the main server where no one bothers it.

steve
steve

delphiman

Post by delphiman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry for stirring this thread up again. I've been out for few weeks dues to other matters.

@Steve: 2 questions for you

1. On this Dental 1 server, I am running and storing ViXWin on it, do you have any idea what to do so that if Dental 1 server goes down, and when I activate Dental 2 server, VixWin is running as well?

2. On your suggestion above, Do I install OpenDental on Dental 2 server then disable MySQL?

Thanks for your help