12.4.54 takes so long to load up

For users or potential users.
irfan

12.4.54 takes so long to load up

Post by irfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 am

We never had an issue before, and these are brand new computers... when we launch OD it takes a long while for the log in screen to appear... like 10 seconds sometimes. It used to be instant. anyone else notice? When we were on 12.3.x it was fast

drtech

Re: 12.4.54 takes so long to load up

Post by drtech » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

We have not had any issues. Used 12.4 for a long while with no issues, been using 13.1 for a few months now and it is very fast as well..
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Try going to (tools/misc tools/test latency) and see what results you get. For reference my results are:
Min round trip to database 3ms
Average round trip to database 7.9ms
Max round trip to database 17ms

If you have high latency then you probably have an issue with your network communication somewhere. First thing to test is to turn off everything in the office (including all routers or switches) and then power everything back up one at a time. Testing the speed with each piece of equipment you power up. It may be that your router just needed a reboot or it may be that you have a faulty network card throwing bad data on the network and causing issues. Either way you need to shutdown the whole network so why not test for a faulty device while you are at it. As for the testing, it can take several minutes for each device to fully initialize so you probably want to wait about 5 to 10 minutes between each device you power on and then test latency. I had a faulty NIC causing problems for the whole office about a year back and once I got it off the network and rebooted everything it all came up and worked again.

irfan

Post by irfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks, tested latency:

Min Trip: 2ms
Average Trip: 2.26ms
Max Trip: 4ms

We have a fast reliable CAT6 network , and once open dental starts up everything is lightning quick... just the start up where it takes long to pull up the user names.

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Is this when you boot up your computers or is it after they have been running for a while. I find that if I try to open the software immediately after booting the computer it takes a long time. That's probably because the computer is still opening other stuff in the background. If I open the software a few minutes later, it's very fast.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

irfan

Post by irfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Computers are already running. This only started happening when we updated

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Do you have the Choose Database window suppressed on start up?
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

irfan

Post by irfan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Yes we have that suppressed on all computers

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

You said your pcs are new. I assume that you are using Windows 7 Pro ( I hope :D ) and what about your server ? What OS are your running ? I found out that Dentrix G5 recommends turning off IPV6 and the Link Layer Topology Protocol in your network adapter. The Link Layer Topology is very chatty and there are a huge amounts of packet going back forth if you see them in a Wireshark capture.

Your problem may be more related to SMB2 and opportunistic locking since you mentioned you have CAT6. Try disabling SMB2 and turn off opportunistic locking (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264) in all computers and server. Finally, if you are using a Peer to Peer network. Adding the server hostname to the static IP address of the server in the host file could speed things up because the machines go straight to this file before broadcasting the name of the server onto the network.

Keep us posted
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 am

I realllllly dont think its a network issue because up until the update, it was perfect... like the log on screen pops up in less than a seconds.. near instant... and now since the update it takes a while... like right now i just closed and reopened and it took 15 seconds. This also happens on the computers that were NOT replaced, so there was no hardware change in 4 computers.... it kind of intermittent.. sometimes its quick sometimes it looks like its thinking for 15 seconds

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:51 am

How old is your network switch ? Do you have a spare switch you can test ? Sometime those suckers are traitors ?
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 am

like i said, the network is excellent...we have no issues with anything else.. and once OD is running it has no hiccups. the issue is only on the startup. its 2 yrs old. we had NO issues before the update... so i think it would be very very very very coincidental that the switch started acting up 1 minute after we updated

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:10 am

Those kinds of coincidences have led me wrong before but I'll take your word that we arn't looking at a network issue. Are you running a domain or peer to peer network?

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:21 am

Domain with SBS 2011 Essentials.

i can close and reopen several times... it will be quick several times.. then i closed and reopened again and it took 17s

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 am

Just on a lark, check this registry key on the workstations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster True or False

Should be false on the workstations and if it is not then that workstation might be conflicting with the server over who is the Master Browser (the computer who knows whom everyone is and what their address is). Should be set true on the server. I've heard that if you have a domain that this is unimportant as the domain supersedes this setting but I've fixed a troubled network before by manually changing this key.

You should also take a look at the logs that correspond to the time when OD opens slowly. You probably won't see anything but you might.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 am

My mouse has been double clicking sometimes instead of single clicking. Guess it affects phpbb.
Last edited by Justin Shafer on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 am

Perhaps its something to do with graphics preferences tied to the computer name and the video card driver\directx?

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 am

My next guess is to look at the SQL database connection but I'm not sure what to look for.

Manny Ramirez

Post by Manny Ramirez » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 pm

What is the Windows event viewer saying ? Are there any errors that might indicate "Application Hanging " ? Also something in regards to switches and routers. The fact that they running fast does not mean that they aren't faulty. You said that it was after the upgrade. Is there a way you can install a previous trial version in a different PC to see if you have the same results ?
Manny Ramirez
Senior Network Engineer
E-ssential Networks LLC

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 pm

When it only happens some of the time, its hard not to assume it's a network issue or something tying up the server's resources at that given moment in time like a backup program or antivirus software.
It might even be that the DNS is having a hard time resolving the name and it takes some extra time to locate the corresponding IP address of the server. If it's related to that, you can either try using the IP address of the server instead of it's name in the Choose Database window or you can add "skip-name-resolve" to MySQL's my.ini file (my.cnf for Linux servers).
If you choose the my.ini file, make sure to stop and start the MySQL service for the setting to take affect.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com