CrashPlan Pro

For users or potential users.
Stan

CrashPlan Pro

Post by Stan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:32 am

Anyone using CrashPlan Pro? I'm considering it for an off-site backup option for the server. I'm playing with the trial version and noticed that it will not copy certain 'open' files, including OD's MySQL database. One solution was to periodically 'dump' the database into a folder and have the folder backed up with the rest of the server. In addition to the nightly Windows Server backup, we manually backup OD (and Apteryx) to an Apricorn drive at the end of the day and could do so to a drive on the server, but are looking for something a little more frequent (noon, end of day) and automated. Any suggestions?

jsalmon

Re: CrashPlan Pro

Post by jsalmon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am

We use CrashPlan Pro here at HQ. It's been a life saver on several occasions.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Stan

Post by Stan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 am

Is there a way we can automate the backup process so CrashPlan will copy the database? AS I understand it, we have to "dump' the OD MySQL database to a folder so it can be included in the backup as the 'open' database cannot be copied. My thinking is to run the 'dump' program at lunch and at the end of the day and have CrashPlan include the saved database file copied at the next pass.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 am

We have it backup every 15 minutes and we do not use a dump. We just backup the 'open' database. There is a chance that a file could be in a malfunctioning state but so far I've never restored a backup that wasn't usable. You can set your backups to occur after hours so the chances of that occurring is even less. I think there are even ways to automate turning the the MySQL service on and off at specific times guaranteeing a good backup, but I haven't looked into such solutions in depth.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm using CrashPlan Pro. My understanding is that it will back up running programs like OpenDental, Quickbooks, etc. I set mine to only backup after hours.
I run my server inside a virtual box, so I have it backing up the server data as well as the virtual box on the host.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:15 am

Our experience has been mixed as I had previously posted. Basically with one exception no one involved wants to deal with the open databases issue. At the same time everyone involved will tell you you are backing up open databases at your own risk. So on this one thing you are on your own. The one exception is XDR which makes a daily automated dump of its database. Regarding backup services themselves:

1. Crashplan Pro: Excellent if it works but this is not always the case. It does not mix well with PCs that have two NICs (ethernet controllers) and sometimes needs an open port on your router to be able to connect to Crashplan's servers. In recent iterations they may have fixed these issues but the support is variable so you always feel that you are on your own. Crashplan deals with huge companies and do not have the infrastructure to troubleshoot your network or PC. So if anything does not work they'll point you to their documentation which is far from transparent for an amateur. You have the option of a private encryption key so it is good from a HIPAA perspective. Local backups are possible and encouraged.

2. Carbonite: They tell you up front not to backup open databases but offer no solution either. You have the option of a private encryption key so it is good from a HIPAA perspective. Once you tell them about the private encryption key they tell you that they cannot help with recovery at all. No local backups are possible unless you image the entire logical drive.

3. Duplicati: Free software but does not run as a service so some idiot could switch off the backup software and you are doomed. Creates encrypted ZIP files and uploads them to a server of your choice including Amazon.

On balance, I don't worry about open databases but you are using them at your own risk :D

One database management GUI software we looked at if you want to avoid BAT files is: dbForge Studio. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

nick

Post by nick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 am

I use crash plan pro and when my IT guy came he noticed it was not backing up properly, he set me up to use crashplan pro + 2 external drives which we interchange daily that automatically back up every night. Its a good idea to hire a professional to set it up, its not that expensive

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:59 am

nick wrote:I use crash plan pro...its a good idea to hire a professional to set it up, its not that expensive
Yes and no. In principle I agree but in practice I do not like the idea of an open port on the main router just because Crashplan needs it to work. I mean that's all the pro might have done to make Crashplan work properly and since he is a pro you stop worrying but really all he has done is open a port. Adding external HDDs is easy. Also, are you using a private encryption key. And there is of course the issue of open databases. If your pro informs you of all these choices then it's ok.