XDR and MySQL

For users or potential users.
tmv2

XDR and MySQL

Post by tmv2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to get XDR. The sale rep told me that XDR needs to install its own MySQL on a Windows machine. Our OD's MySQL is on linux. I don't like the idea of maintaining 2 versions of MySQL on different OSes. For those who have XDR, what's your take on of having another MySQL installation to maintain? Why can't they use the same MySQL installation as OD and just create their database on it?

thanks.

drtech

Re: XDR and MySQL

Post by drtech » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:49 pm

We use XDR also. I don't like it that it is seperate, but I don't think it actually has a real "server" on our install. I think they actually use a borland database engine...It installs on each workstation and then just uses the filesystem on your XDR share, but then your actual data can be stored on the linux server like we have it. Just share a folder (I put in as a subdirectory of my OD share on the linux server) and then it gets backed up with my rsync copies every 15 minutes like clockwork.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 am

In the past XDR used Borland, and some legacy installations of XDR continue to use it. Our office switched over last year and initially it was the 'same' mySQL as every other program uses but XDR did not want to create issues for OD when the mySQL service was switched on or off by XDR techs. So, sometime in the middle of last year they switched to the current system of having two simultaneous services:

1. myXDR: a rebranded mySQL service used exclusively by XDR.
2. mySQL: the usual mySQL service used by OD and everyone else.

To be honest we have never had issues with the Borland, the mySQL or the myXDR database versions.

nathansparks

Post by nathansparks » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:24 pm

When a software company supports a client, there may be (and have been) database version specific behaviors. For instance, Open Dental generally requires a specific version of MySQL: you can use another version, but then we cannot address any issues you have related to behavior of that MySQL instance. The best way to consider it is that it is coincidental that two software companies use the same back end, and that this question would not come up if you were using Oracle as your Open Dental back end. Our connector may not have been tested with the version of MySQL that XDR is using and vice versa.
There are three other reasons, so here is the summary:
1. Possible MySQL Version specific issue/connector issues with each software
2. Support issues where MySQL service/server needs to be restarted and impact on other software is not desired.
3. Each software may have parameters to be set in the configuration file that differ (like max packet size).
4. Greying of support 'border'. If there is a bug in Open Dental that is causing high CPU usage, how will you know if it is a bug in Open Dental or XDR or neither? You are left with potential issues that neither company can touch.
Open Dental database servers should not be used to support other databases in general, unless you are a developer or experience DBA.

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:26 am

Interesting.. I am going to have an Open Dental client upgrade XDR. I want to see XDR using mysql as it's database. I wonder what listening port they have it set to. Wonder if they use innodb...

XDR.. knowing many of it's clients use Open Dental.. should build it's database so the 2 databases can reside on a single mysql server??? But perhaps not.. Hmmm... Wonder how XDR would run on linux with samba and mysql... Should work.