OMS on OD

For users or potential users.
batman3141

OMS on OD

Post by batman3141 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:01 pm

As an OMS I have used all of the oral surgery specific software and believe I have paid far too much in purchase costs for something OD seems to offer at no charge. I have always paid higher support fees for these programs than the OD fee I see on the site. The only area I'm concerned about is reporting and specifically referral reports. The report that is most important to any OMS practice is one which clearly shows where each patient is coming from and further can sort by predetermined parameters such as "By Patient count#" or perhaps "collections" etc...As I am starting my 5th surgical practice from scratch I would like to save on software if the product can do the things necessary. I haven't heard one bad comment about OD thus my interest. I appreciate any response from GP's but specifically from an OMS if any are out there. Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: OMS on OD

Post by jordansparks » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/ODQueryL ... yList.aspx
When I limit that to referrals, I get 39 results. Yes, looking through them will give you a bit of information overload. But my point is that the information is in there, and we CAN get it out. Each office seems to want different details in their reports, and that's how we end up with so many.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:58 am

I have been using od in my OMS practice for about a year now. The bigges draw for me was the EHR certification, so i could get the $20k stimulus incentive payment for adopting it since i see enough medicaid to qualify. The zero upfront cost definately helped separate it from the oms specific software.
As far as the reports go, i have been using the included report type that shows the amount of production per referring dr. the custom report, or user query, function is powerful and could generate almost any report imaginable, but takes more than one click to get it. The fancy reports that monitor the referral patterns with graphical display that dsn has would be nice, but not 30 thousand dollars nice. I am new to private practice, less than 2 years so i may be a little short sighted though.
Are you going to chart on the computer, or use paper? I bought my practice and went with OD and almost completely paperless right away. My anesthesia record is the only regular paper we use. Of course from what i saw with dsn, i think their software would be faster for clinical charting since the workflow is designed for oms. If you are sticking with paper for clinical charting then for sure, i see almost no advantage of an expensive oms centric software.
I really like OD. I am techy to start and OD is constantly being updated with great new features and is definitely cutting edge.
If you have any other oms specific questions i would be glad to share my experience.

batman3141

Post by batman3141 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 am

Dr. Payne, Thanks for your response. I never even use the graphic format reports on DSN...frankly most of their reports are presented in an awkward fashion, I found WINOMS reporting the best however program clumsy and overpriced with fair to poor support at a cost higher than DSN and also OD. I just want to be able to eliminate the GP components of OD to the extent I am able. Obviously I am not doing MOD's etc..My minimum report needs include PRODUCTION/ADJUSTED PROD/COLLECTIONS- DAILY,WEEKLY,MONTHLY,YEARLY.
Referral reports PATIENT COUNT#-MONTHLY,YEARLY with abilty to produce reports by sort based upon #s/PRODUCTION/COLLECTIONS Without this info no oral surgeon can track
pt referral or marketing efficacy.

batman3141

Post by batman3141 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:07 am

PS I am interested in using the EHR certification to my advantage as well..What is % of MA pts necessary to fulfill requirement? Thanks in advance.

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Thankfully with OD, you don't have to spend $30k to find out if it is worth the cost. you could get a test conversion of another data base to try, but I would recommend just adding some test patients to the trial and see how things work. The only things that I notice regularly that are GP specific is the stuff about recall and also many of the procedures in the "add treatment" dialogue of the chart. most everything else is useful in some way or another. When it comes to the chart module the tooth diagram makes it quick to add procedures and to see which teeth I have extracted on a certain patient. I obviously don't go through tooth chart marking existing work, caries, or missing teeth, in most cases. I have thoroughly completed the procedure button customization to make it very fast to click the tooth and then click what I am going to do to it. I have categeories like exams, implants/grafts, extractions, medical exams, medical procedures, etc. that make my common procedures easy to find and add. If you are going to leave the procedure entry to your biller and just us a paper superbill, then this would be less useful to you. I am still trying to find the balance of eliminating duplication of work, but not taking too much of my own time for clerical work. Right now I add all my procedures, diagnostic and treatments, and write the notes along with assistants entering portions of the note. The biller adds the insurance to the patient account then in two clicks submits an electronic claim. Actually for a few days I started submitting the claims from the operatory after finishing the surgery, it was quick and easy, I didn't continue because sometime I don't have the extra 20s to spend or the insurance wasn't added to the patient yet (which is the hardest part trying to find all the correct information). Most all of our claims are submitted electronically using emdeon medical and claim connect.
Back to the report issue. I have only used the default referral reports so far, but marketing is an area I could focus on better. I have multiple "user query" reports saved as favorites though which makes those custom reports easy to run. If you know what you want on a report it should either be available, or you can have them make the database query for a small fee. you can look through the sample queries that Jordan posted the link , to see if what you need is there.
In Colorado the medicaid EHR incentive requirement is 30% of patient encounters. I'm not sure if that is a state by state or national requirement.
On another note, even if you do use paper for some of your clinical forms, I would still recommend going paperless, by scanning them to the chart as soon as they are signed. Once I got use to never looking for charts and everyone being able to work on the same chart at once, I would never go back. every piece of paper that gets sent or brought to the office is scanned in to their chart. I am still to worried to throw away original or important documents so we file the scanned documents by date, rather than by patient for storage.

batman3141

Post by batman3141 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 am

Thanks Dr. Payne...I am in agreement with the risk of trial being negligible relative to spending 20K plus at onset for no material advantage.
One last question..you refer to default reports however do you not track where and how much production you generate from DOCTOR referrals
or is your practice mainly MA? I accept some government plans but rely on tracking DDS direct referrals as those are docs I do lunch with and market to.
Thanks again...Regards, Alex

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 am

I am not sure what you are asking really. The default referral reports do include the amount in production and quantity of patients from each of my referrals whether they are a doctor, phonebook, google or whatever. We attach the referring dds to the patient at the first phone call and track the referral trends with the "Referral Analysis" report. So this report I do use this regularly. Have you seen what the default referral reports look like? They include what you just asked about. The aspect you asked about previously that is not on the report is collections, only production. I just went and found query #627 which I will probably use in the future which does include this. There are other queries that may work as well, but this one looked the best to me.

Query Description: Net Production (with PPO writeoffs removed by procedure date, other adjustments not considered) and Income by referral source for date range, KEY POINT: only includes referrals received and income collected during that period,whereas some other reports.

Here is the first few lines of the output I got.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11383321/RefReport.jpg

batman3141

Post by batman3141 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Simply...the report you were nice enough to post is appreciated but can further query yield that report but in referral source order sorted by patient referred#s AND/OR production?? IE 1-DRJONES-5 pts
2- DRBONES-4 pts
ETC....
OR
1-DRJONES 10,000
2-DRBONES 7,500

Thanks

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm

You can click on the top column and it will sort the results by whichever field you want. I find the most predictable sorting results by exporting the data to an excel file and sorting it in excel. Excel is pretty powerful, so you can do a lot with the data once it is in there as well.

batman3141

Post by batman3141 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 am

Thanks for response....exactly what I needed to know. Your help is appreciated

CarlsonTech

Post by CarlsonTech » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm

I'm reading this (years late to the game) and am interested in how your OMS is doing with Open Dental. (both BCPayne and Batman)
I'm a dental IT provider in Oregon and I really like Open Dental for my clients. Sadly, I don't have any direct clients that are OMS and use OD. Would one or both of you be kind enough to give an update on your practices using OD for OMS?

One of the major things I was hoping to see is vitals monitoring integration through units like MindRay or Criticare. Otherwise, of course being able to customize the display for more of an OMS environment is great but the core functionality does quite a bit already.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:05 pm

I am an OMS and have been using Open Dental since 2007 and love it.
CarlsonTech wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm
One of the major things I was hoping to see is vitals monitoring integration through units like MindRay or Criticare. Otherwise, of course being able to customize the display for more of an OMS environment is great but the core functionality does quite a bit already.
I developed an anesthesia EMR that integrates with Mindray monitors, as well as those from Edan, Philips, ZOE, Omni and Conntec. Criticare not so much because those export data via the serial port.

Details here ---> http://www.bigideasoft.com

Anyone is always welcome to PM me with OMS/Open Dental integration questions. The good news with Open Dental is that if there is OMS functionality that you don't see or would like refined, it can always be done since Open Dental is open source and has both an API and plugin framework for developers :D
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

CarlsonTech

Post by CarlsonTech » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:56 pm

Great to hear! Thanks for the response.

I'll head over and look up your website. We're pretty curious and I'd be super happy to have Open Dental be a viable option for all my dental related practice clients.