Copay per visit

For users or potential users.
Jorgebon

Copay per visit

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:21 am

Insurance companies are driving me crazy. Medicaid started it by designing plans with a copay per visit. Now some Medicare Advantage plans are using the same concept and they are taking it one step further by applying it to only some categories. For example, a $5 per visit copay on Dx, Preventive and Restorative.
I know there's a feature request for copays per visit (#2073), but I feel like there's someone in these insurance companies whose only job is to make life miserable for us.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

bpcomp

Re: Copay per visit

Post by bpcomp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 am

I have one plan that covers $1000 per year. It pays 100% on the first $250 regardless of the treatment and then 75% of the any TX after until the $750 is used up. It doesn't not matter what is filed, it is reimbursed 100% until $250 and 75% after that...... Simple, but no way to enter that into OD that I know of.

JenniePalmer

Post by JenniePalmer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 am

Of course, the Medicare stuff has become even MORE complex as of January 2015... and I still can't work out how to build a fee schedule that will address it.

The deal is this:

There are maybe five codes we can bill to insurance (New pt and recall exams, BWX, and prophy). The pt is responsible for $15 for exams, $15 for BWX, and the prophy is covered at 100%.

Everything else is discounted at 15% off of the practice's UCR, and can't be billed to insurance.

Last year, of course, these plans were straight fee schedule, with the pt responsible for 100% of the charges. Easy-peasy. Now... I can't figure out how to do this to save my life.

Ideas?

Cheers from the Frozen Tundra of Pittsburgh...
Jennie

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:39 am

You'll need to make a fee schedule for it that reflects those fees and using category percentage type plan, place all categories at 0% coverage. Using the "Other Benefits" feature, add exams, Btwgs and prophy individual codes at 100%. Then you need to make a copay fee schedule that has the $15 for exams and BtWgs and $0 for everything else.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005