Comm Log Audit Trail?

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Comm Log Audit Trail?

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Just had an interesting situation where my front desk changed a comm log entry by accident to a future date. Is that entry a part of the audit trail? I was just thinking for legal purposes, since a conversation may be recorded or summarized in the comm log if that was the case?

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jsalmon

Re: Comm Log Audit Trail?

Post by jsalmon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:41 pm

In a roundabout way it is part of the audit trail. It will show up as a CommlogEdit item. The part that is lacking is that you won't know exactly what changed, just the fact that it was edited by someone on a specific date. The only way I could see to know what changed would be to load up a backup before the commlog was edited. I'm fairly certain our audit trail is going to be getting an overhaul one of these days which will better document the specifics of changes made.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks Jason.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

irfan

Post by irfan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm

That would be awesome if the audit trail kept track of the actual changes. Its kind of useless as it is other than seeing that a user made some sort of change, but we cant use it to see who actually did what

edwardkellydds

Post by edwardkellydds » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 am

I switched to OpenDent some years ago, from MOGO. I did have a problem with an employee embezzling insurance checks. She would go back far enough in a patient's account and make the changes.

These changes were all documented in the MOGO software. When we discovered the fraud, she was nailed, and was prosecuted.

Does Opendent keep a log of such changes.??

Thanks
E Kelly dds

KevinRossen

Post by KevinRossen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:24 pm

edwardkellydds wrote:I switched to OpenDent some years ago, from MOGO. I did have a problem with an employee embezzling insurance checks. She would go back far enough in a patient's account and make the changes.

These changes were all documented in the MOGO software. When we discovered the fraud, she was nailed, and was prosecuted.

Does Opendent keep a log of such changes.??

Thanks
E Kelly dds
Yes, I believe it does track what you're looking for. I just tested a query that will search for deleted completed procedures or deleted payments. This is not a catch all for embezzlement, but it is a start. Here's what I came up with:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM securitylog
WHERE (PermType=10 AND LogText LIKE '%Deleted') OR PermType=16
ORDER BY LogDateTime DESC;
Kevin Rossen
Office Manager, Rossen Dental
Founder, DivergentDental.com

MKM

Post by MKM » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:32 am

Open Dental's Audit Trail is sadly lacking. I have been asking for this change for a while now. I understand it is a big deal to overhaul the audit trail, but it is a critical function for our businesses and it is almost useless as it is now. Hoping we see a new Audit Trail Soon!
Mary Kay
Practice Administrator
Medina, Ohio