bouncing appointments

For users or potential users.
sam-I-am

bouncing appointments

Post by sam-I-am » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am

We've had an issue with appointments scheduled in hidden operatories, and didn't know how it was happening, until now

When dragging an appointment, if placement is not careful and the appointment partially overlaps an existing appointment, after clicking OK for the move, the appointment will bounce.

Sometimes the appointment bounces to a hidden operatory. And I can't delete an unused operatory.

Any ideas?

jsalmon

Re: bouncing appointments

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:23 pm

I hate to start a comment like this but... I don't believe it. From the appointment module it is impossible to see or even add an appointment to a hidden operatory because hidden operatories cannot be added to appointment views. If what you're saying is true, you would have moved an appointment and it would have disappeared completely. Then you would have had to of gone to your list of operatories, unhide all of them, either go to the appt view of "none" or alter your current appt view to include those newly "unhidden" operatories, and then noticed the appointment sitting there.
Unless of course you are on an older version and this was a bug back in the day, to which I ask, what version of Open Dental are you running? And then would follow up with an apology for my disbelief.
A list of bugs going back to v5.3 can be found here: http://www.opendental.com/manual/bugtra ... sions.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Then you'll just have to try it, 'cause it works. If you try to move an appointment into a space already filled ( even partially overlapping the filled space) then when you click 'OK' for the move, the appointment bounces. Sometimes it bounces up, sometimes down, and sometimes to the side. And if to the side is a hidden operatory, it can bounce there.

We found this because we had a couple of occasions where patients came in, with appointment cards, and we didn't have them in the book. Found the appointments (today) when we unhid the unused operatories. So the result is that we lost a couple of unhappy patients because of this.

You bounce an appointment by not being very accurate when moving the appointment. When the appointment bounces, it can sometimes move into a hidden operatory.

So by bouncing an appointment you are moving, you can schedule someone into a hidden operatory, and end up with a pissed off patient. And yeah, my version is current as of Monday.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 pm

The bouncing to an open spot is common when scheduling an appointment that will overlap another, the moving to a hidden op is not. Myself and another coworker spent a while trying to get an appointment to get sent to a hidden op and couldn't duplicate it. I even took a look at the code to double check that the list of ops it chooses from does not contain hidden ops. So that scenario doesn't seem very likely to me.
We use Open Dental to schedule everything here at HQ and I'm fairly certain some heads would be rolling if appointments had the possibility to be scheduled to hidden ops. Maybe you can give me the exact steps to duplicate scheduling to a hidden op consistently? Duplicating bugs consistently is often the hardest part in these situations. Is it possible that the appt was scheduled there a while ago (audit trail will have when it was created) and then the op was hidden after that date? That scenario is very possible.
sam-I-am wrote:And yeah, my version is current as of Monday.
It's far more helpful for me to have an exact version numbers, that way I can load up that exact version and mimic being at your office if you will.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 am

Version 12.3.45.0

Have not been able to duplicate on home computer: I get the 'appointment overlap' warning, which I did not in the office. If I manage to duplicate this in the office next week, I'll log into help, so I can demo for you.

I do know that we found about 8 appointments in hidden operatories, and we hadn't fooled around with number of operatories showing since last August, when we went online with you (couldn't even remember how to setup/hide ops, for that matter)

I was originally an engineer, and wrote code back in the days of fortran and dbase, and appreciate how much fun it is to kill elusive bugs.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 am

In the mean time, I wrote you a quick query to find any appointments that are scheduled in hidden operatories so that you don't have any surprised patients / receptionists.

Code: Select all

SELECT AptNum,PatNum,AptStatus,ProcDescript,AptDateTime,operatory.OpName,operatory.Abbrev FROM appointment
RIGHT JOIN operatory ON operatory.OperatoryNum=appointment.Op AND operatory.IsHidden=1
WHERE appointment.AptDateTime>NOW();

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

sam-I-am

Post by sam-I-am » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:28 am

Great, Thanks Much. I have to say, my experience with opendental support is so superior to my previous software, its scary.

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:33 pm

I tried the query and it returned 0 results, so just to report not occurring at our office...
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com