Unable to do backup for 12.3.42.0

For users or potential users.
epicurean

Unable to do backup for 12.3.42.0

Post by epicurean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 pm

ever since i updated to 12.3.42.0, I have been unable to do a backup.

It would say "preparing for backup..." and stays there for indefinitely.

I had no problems with backups prior to this version.

Any help appreciated

Thanks!

Rickliftig

Re: Unable to do backup for 12.3.42.0

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 am

If you are using a flash drive, make sure there is enough space on it. You may have to either do a quick format or erase several backups.

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 am

I had this problem multiple times and it ended up being a file pemissions issue.

If you are using linux to serve your mysql folder, i would say you probably have the same problem. Even if you have set up all the correct file permissions in the past, with new versions comes new mysql data files which are created with tight file restrictions. Once I ran a recursive chmod to give wide open file permissions the backup ran fine.

Potentially this could happen with windows too, but is less likely because support didn't seem too familiar with the problem.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I haven't heard many complaints about running backups in this version so I would lean towards one of the suggested explanations above. I've seen antivirus software cause issues before and even flash drives go bad. You might try a test and change the "backup to" directory to your desktop. This would take the external storage device out of the equation and prove its guilt or innocence. Then you'll have more information to go forward with.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com